Anxious

Lorraine D

Jan 31, 2020
Hi, My mum is 84 was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. The worst part is seeing her get so anxious. I have a carer come in from 12:30-4:30 . They will not provide anymore care , (the social worker said she is over the limit). The doctor wont give her anything to calm her anxiety ( in case she falls ) Is there anything I can give her? St Johns wort? she doesn't know where she is and wants to go home ( she is at home) and is afraid to turn the sound on the TV up in case anyone hears it . I live with her but work so she is alone for 4hours in the morning. I know Im luckier than most . I just want her to be calm and stress free.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Lorraine D

I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe anything for anxiety due to increased falls risk but I can't imagine your mum's anxiety being good for either of you. St John's Wort is brilliant, I take it occasionally but I know it can interact with other medications so you'd have to check that.

Have you tried chamomile tea or lavender oil or spray?

Sometimes reassurance can work. If my dad got worked up about something (even if it wasn't real) I could sometimes calm him by pretending to sort it out for him or telling him I'd deal with it. Have you seen this thread?

I often found it helpful.

Last edited:

Lorraine D

Jan 31, 2020
Hi @Lorraine D

I know doctors are reluctant to prescribe anything for anxiety due to increased falls risk but I can't imagine your mum's anxiety being good for either of you. At John's Wort is brilliant, I take it occasionally but I know it can interact with other medications so you'd have to check that.

Have you tried chamomile tea or lavender oil or spray?

Sometimes reassurance can work. If my dad got worked up about something (even if it wasn't real) I could sometimes calm him by pretending to sort it out for him or telling him I'd deal with it. Have you seen this thread?

I often found it helpful.
Hi Bunpoots
I always try and reassure her, I tell her everything is sorted and everyone is well. I also try and change the subject. I willl try the lavendar oil. And I will ask if I can give her St Johns wort. Thank you.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hi, My mum is 84 was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. The worst part is seeing her get so anxious. I have a carer come in from 12:30-4:30 . They will not provide anymore care , (the social worker said she is over the limit). The doctor wont give her anything to calm her anxiety ( in case she falls ) Is there anything I can give her? St Johns wort? she doesn't know where she is and wants to go home ( she is at home) and is afraid to turn the sound on the TV up in case anyone hears it . I live with her but work so she is alone for 4hours in the morning. I know Im luckier than most . I just want her to be calm and stress free.
I had a bit of a battle to get anti-anxiety tablets for Mum, because of the falls risk. However, I really don't believe that a constant state of anxiety is acceptable, and eventually got them to agree to Mirtazipine, which generally works fairly well. It may be worth trying another GP at the practice, as they all seem to have different opinions. Don't play down how distressed your mum is - they are not living with this, and don't understand the reality.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Can I suggest that you consult with your GP before using St. John’s wort. Its use has been banned in some countries and in others it requires a prescription as there are possible side effects and may interact with a few medications.