Anxious about times....

Shellyangel

Dec 12, 2013
If there is an event on during the day, for example singing for the brain at 1:30pm, my mum will be ready to go from early morning and believes that she needs to leave right then. She gets highly anxious and stressed out, and is upset and frustrated when my dad tells her that it's not time to go. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to help with this?

It sounds like a small thing, but is causing my mum to be tearful and upset for most of the day. Any suggestions appreciated! Xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Shellyangel, l had this problem with my husband, l never told him we were going out until the time came to go, he was so agitated for hours before. So destressing for you.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I'm sure this kind of thing must be very common. My Mum's inability to make sense of time and date was what originally woke me up to her decline two years ago, and I've tried all sorts of things to keep her calm and cut down on frustrations. Nothing technological helps her, as a countdown on a screen means nothing to her, and I had to be there to set the timers anyway.

I've had some success making a 'bus clock' which is a cheap clock with the hour hand cut off and marker pen used to show when she needs to set off for the bus stop on a piece of paper attached to the dial. Another clock with the minute hand cut off can be used for appointments occurring once in the next 12 hours, but requires setting up in the morning.

Neither of these is any use whatsoever though if my Mum doesn't look at them... which is usually the case!

I've looked for hourglass type sand timers which could be used over an extended period, because it seems to me such a device is simpler to relate to. But there are limits to what's possible there, and again someone has to be there to make sure they're set up at the right time and can't be disturbed.

I've also experimented with a cheap laptop set up to a TV screen with a 'teleprompter' type display which changes throughout the day, telling Mum what channel she might enjoy on the TV at that time, whether she needs to do anything 'soon' or 'now' or 'later'. But it was a lot of effort to keep up to date and, again, she ignored it most of the time.

Ultimately I found it was less stressful for both of us if I just keep in touch regularly throughout the day to reassure Mum. But even now I'm only working part time and living with Mum for most of the week, managing her expectations about times and appointments can be... er, challenging. As the others say, the only practical solution is to keep quiet about appointments until necessary, but that doesn't work if it's a regular event they're aware is coming up and fret about all the time. Then it comes down to distraction and reassurance. If she'll listen! Sometimes all I can do is sit back, wait for things to get messy, and prepare to pick up the pieces.

Good luck.

Shellyangel

Dec 12, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for replying. I just had a quick look on here, not expecting any replies yet but got so many helpful suggestions!!

It sounds like you have all tried lots of different approaches. I think it is just a bit of trial and error, and things seem to change each day. Her cognitive ability seems to fluctuate, but anxiety is always around.

I don't know if my mum would know what was going on if my dad didn't tell her- he does write on a whiteboard each day, but I never thought that could be part of the problem. I was going to look into getting a clock or reminder system, but sounds like an effective, simple solution to just let mum know shortly before the activity is happening. Only sometimes she knows her routine, such as going to church on Sunday and she will get ready to leave home at about 6am and then gets really cross with my dad. We could direct her to the clock for those occasions, but limit giving other info in advance.

Thanks for sharing your stories with me, it helps to know other people have the same dilemmas.

Best wishes xx