Anxiety

Mme Blonde

Jun 8, 2014
Up North
Recently my OH has been anxiously pacing about the house constantly, in and out of every room, opening and closing the doors noisily. I have tried to talk to him and calm him but unfortunately it doesn't always work. When I asked this morning what he was anxious about he replied that it was because I don't know what I am doing! He is losing his ability to talk sense and when, however hard I try, I am unable to answer his questions he becomes really angry and abusive with me.
Tomorrow I have arranged to have a phone conversation with the nurse from the memory clinic who saw him recently and I have an appointment on Friday with my carer's support worker. I would like to know though, in advance of these appointments if anyone out there has experienced this same behaviour and what, if anything, can be done about it.
By the way, one of today's questions was "what planet are we on?" I resisted all temptation!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Mme Blonde
I certainly recognise this with my dad - it seems to be the main thing that makes him anxious - 'I don't know what I'm doing' or 'what should I be doing?' or 'I haven't got it right' or 'where am I?'... and lots of other variations
like you I try to be encouraging but with his worry being so non specific it's hard to find the right soothing phrase, and I guess it's his way of expressing that he knows something is wrong with him but not what
if I manage to stay calm dad usually settles but it can take some time - and he is on meds and has a prn just in case - he's living in a care home now, so I'm not with him all the time
best wishes

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It is the same with my mum - I don't know what I'm going to do, what should I be doing, I'm stuck now and all the while wandering around the house. It is so hard to distract her and when I suggest something her usual answer is - O no I'm too tired so I'll go to bed now, of course she never does, just continues to wander either around the house or the garden. She also talks about all the work she has to do.

Mme Blonde

Jun 8, 2014
Up North
If there is anything to report following my time with the support workers I will do so.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Blonde, unfortunatly it all part of the Alzheimers, my husband was like that at home, now he is in a CH he is just the same, most residents are the same, they are all wandering about, muttering about they have to get to work or they have got to catch a bus, the carer's just agree with them, sometimes a cup of tea will settle them for a while, then they are up again, l feel for you, when my husband was at home it drove me mad.