Anxiety?

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Mum is still living alone, a 5 minute walk away, with support in most areas. We manage, just about.
I saw her this morning, got her on track, and have then had my own appointments. I took her a meal up toward 5pm and, not for the first time, found her looking very anxious. The fire was on, and she had all radiators going full blast too. It was so hot! Yet she complained of feeling so cold, wringing her hands, almost agitated. When you stand close to her, you can clearly hear her breath 'shaking'. Like chattering teeth, but done with her breathing. Like a 'dithering'. This isn't the first time I have noticed this ..it's usually in the evening, yet she doesn't do this on evenings she eats here ... She did look so worried, but when I enquired, she said it was just the headcold, as usual.

Thought it would be worth a mention in case anyone else had had the same.

Today wheels were set in motion re Day Care, beginning with one day per week. It all depends on what is available for Mum's stage, so fingers crossed.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Lulu

My Mum used to be exactly as you describe your Mum, she would wring her hands hunch her shoulders and have a shaky "old lady" voice, her breathing was fast too. These events always followed a stressful time for her, such as change of routine or trying to do something, like make a cup of tea, and no longer being able to do it.

The GP was called in one evening when the episode took ages to pass and said it was an anxiety attack, similar to a panic attack, hence the fast breathing and shakiness, despite it being in the summer time.

He prescribed a very low dose of stelazine and that helped enormously to keep the anxiety at bay.

Mum had these attacks up to 5 times a week, which were reduced to once every three to four weeks.

Perhaps it would be worth letting your Mum's GP know and ask advice on it.

Hope it is soon resolved for her.

Kathleen
xx

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Dear Kathleen and Sheila.

Yes, It could well have been a stress thing -I was late with her meal so perhaps she had been panicking a bit?

Sheila, you have had both your own Mum and Mum-in-Law to care for with this disease? I have such admiration that you are as patient as you are.

MichelleE

Nov 28, 2005
Bedford UK
Hi,
My Mum get very Anxious about all sorts of things, recently it has got very bad so yesterday i spoke with our GP and he has perscribed mum with a lose dose tranquiliser. I don't know if it will help yet, The GP said to wait a couple of weeks.
The last thing I want is to 'dope' mum up.
Mish

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi MichelleE, Lionel went through a very bad patch last spring, anxiety etc.
Doctor prescribed low dose anti-depressant. I was very concerned, but agreed to give it a go. Lionel responded so well after about a month, and he is on them still today. I can see that soon we may have to think about the dosage being increased.
Do hope they work for Mum. Connie