Anxiety

little William

Apr 10, 2020
My wife of 78 years was diagnosed with dementia about 18 months ago. This so far has mainly effected her memory. She struggles to find the words she needs to communicate. She will start to ask me something but then forgets what she wanted to ask me.
However the main problem is anxiety which I understand is associated with dementia. Normally this has been manageable but now with the lockdown she gets herself all wound up with panic attacks etc. Currently this is every day and making life miserable for both of us. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions that could help us.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Edgarplayfoot

Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Whenever there is a change in behaviour, it`s always advisable to check if there is an infection, most commonly a UTI [Urinary Tract Infection]

A change in behaviour is often the only symptom.

If you can get an appointment for a test, it might be a solution.

I do hope so.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do you know what is triggering the panic attacks? Many people with dementia are find the situation with the coronavirus very worrying. There is all the news and bulletins on the TV talking about sickness and death and although they may not fully understand it, nor remember it, they will remember the emotion of fear.
Do you think this may what is happening to your wife? If so, try changing the TV to a channel that doesnt have any news - try Drama (channel 10) which shows lots of old, classic, TV shows that she might like anyway.

If the anxiety continues it might be worth exploring anti-depressants. Depression and anxiety often goes with dementia and many people find they are helped by antidepressants.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
With anxiety, regular reassurance worked well for my OH. Constantly telling him I love him, touching his hand as I walked passed him, telling him where I was going everytime I walked out of the room and I would only be a couple of minutes. I still do it now even tho' he doesn't get anxious any more. I think canarys idea of not having the news on too much is a very good one.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
My wife of 78 years was diagnosed with dementia about 18 months ago. This so far has mainly effected her memory. She struggles to find the words she needs to communicate. She will start to ask me something but then forgets what she wanted to ask me.
However the main problem is anxiety which I understand is associated with dementia. Normally this has been manageable but now with the lockdown she gets herself all wound up with panic attacks etc. Currently this is every day and making life miserable for both of us. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions that could help us.

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer but wanted to say I’m experiencing the same with my mum since the lockdown. Mum is also becoming quite clingy and needs to know where I am if not in her sight.

Her routine has gone and with the best will in the world I cannot shield her from the constant Covid 19 news on the radio and TV, even Channel 10 has the Health Secretary’s message during the ad breaks.

Mum’s had a few infections over the years and if her behaviour changes it’s always hard to know if it’s the dementia or an infection. I’ve had her tested before when suddenly changed only to be told there is no infection. However her increased anxiety at the moment corresponds with the lockdown so I think that’s it.

I’m worn out and getting very little sleep but I’m trying to be patient and reassure her. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

hope thing settle down for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77