Anxiety

Jennyjen

Sep 12, 2019
My mum has suffered with her nerves for years and we have always struggled to get her any support due to her putting a show on when seeing professionals. We finally managed to get the mental health team involved and my mum agreed to have the tests for dementia. The tests showed issues with her memory but scans showed no sign of it. The consultant was apprehensive to diagnose Alzheimer's but said given the level of medicine she was on for her anxiety he felt it probably was. He has prescribed her some new tablets (can't remember proper name but something to do with ebixa) which she has been on for nearly 6 weeks. Her anxiety has gone through the roof but the mental health team keep putting this down to the Alzheimer's. Surely if she is in the early stages of allergies Alzheimer's and her anxiety was bad before this, this shouldn't be the case. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if your mother is taking a drug to help her Alzheimer`s @Jennyjen

This drug doesn`t agree with everyone, the Alzheimer`s drugs didn`t agree with my husband and all I can suggest is you keep going back to your mother`s doctors to discuss with them.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Ebixa is a brand name for memantine. My mother was offered memantine but the doctors then decided against it, so I haven't seen it 'in action'. I agree with GrannieG, you need to return to the doctor and tell ask for this to be reviewed, it sounds as if it isn't helping at all and may be making things worse.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
My mum has suffered with her nerves for years and we have always struggled to get her any support due to her putting a show on when seeing professionals. We finally managed to get the mental health team involved and my mum agreed to have the tests for dementia. The tests showed issues with her memory but scans showed no sign of it. The consultant was apprehensive to diagnose Alzheimer's but said given the level of medicine she was on for her anxiety he felt it probably was. He has prescribed her some new tablets (can't remember proper name but something to do with ebixa) which she has been on for nearly 6 weeks. Her anxiety has gone through the roof but the mental health team keep putting this down to the Alzheimer's. Surely if she is in the early stages of allergies Alzheimer's and her anxiety was bad before this, this shouldn't be the case. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
My mum also suffered throughout her life with anxiety and mild depression. Dad died young and mum was on her own from 50 , we have always been close and she came to live with me and hubby plus kids 20 years ago . We had quite a few anxiety situations/ paranoia but always dealt with it positively and she got through it . However as she got into her 80’s mild memory issues plus anxiety took hold and now at 87 she is in NH , bedridden and totally dependent on staff . She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 3 years ago but all who have met her and dealt with said they didn’t think it was Alzheimer’s and it was most likely chronic anxiety that took complete control of her . It’s not always Alzheimer’s that robs a person of their mind and all to easily labelled .