Anxiety reducing music

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ive no experience of new , previously unheard music reducing stress in people with dementia but I know favourite music affected my husband and soothed him.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Hillybilly
I started playing the top 'song' and had to turn it off, that sort of sound just winds me up - and other songs in that list eg Enya I just can't listen to - I relax by listening to radio 4
for dad, he doesn't respond to just any sounds - his de-stresser is Modern Jazz Quartet; the xylophone is remarkably soothing and dad loves jazz - I also tell him of the time he visited me at uni and we went to a jazz club in Georgetown for supper and to hear the MJQ live = very special memory for us both

so agree about music being soothing; not so sure there can be a playlist that suits one and all

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have to say that music really twanged a nerve and I had to turn it off. I do find Enya's Orinoco Flow very soporific though. I hate jazz!

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
hi Hillybilly
I started playing the top 'song' and had to turn it off, that sort of sound just winds me up - and other songs in that list eg Enya I just can't listen to - I relax by listening to radio 4
for dad, he doesn't respond to just any sounds - his de-stresser is Modern Jazz Quartet; the xylophone is remarkably soothing and dad loves jazz - I also tell him of the time he visited me at uni and we went to a jazz club in Georgetown for supper and to hear the MJQ live = very special memory for us both

so agree about music being soothing; not so sure there can be a playlist that suits one and all

I didn't care for it either, in fact it got on my nerves! A bit of Rachmaninov does it for me, and definitely helped my husband when he was at home with Dementia.

Azure9

Jan 13, 2017
Singapore
Just listen to your favorite song can help you relaxed. Or the sounds of nature often are incorporated into CDs made specifically for relaxation.