Anxiety & Depression

Moonstruck

Nov 14, 2021
My mum who lives with me and my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2019. Given Donepezil but didn't agree with her. She has been on propranolol for about 15 years for a tremor and anxiety. Recently depression seems to have also got to her and she cries alot and says she wants to die. The GP gave her Sertraline but that didn't work so now on Mirtazapine. Only been 10 days and really makes her sleep just with half a tablet but now crying again. Not sure what to do, it breaks my heart. I work 3 days a week and my husband is with her then and she goes to an Alzheimer's group once a week. I feel totally useless and just want to do the right thing for her. She is frightened and confused most of the time now. Should I be asking for a different Alzheimer's drug to try? Of all the things, I never expected mum to get Alzheimer's. Thanks for listening.

JanBWiltshire

Jun 23, 2020
Gloucestershire
I’m sorry to hear your mum is weepy and I think this is a certain stage because that is how my mother is. Very confused and cries at the least little thing. She is in hospital so I do a video call so she can speak to my father but not sure it is helpful as she cries and that upsets my father. It sounds as though you are doing as much as you can - it is never clear whether symptoms are medicine induced or just part of the dementia.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Moonstruck and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

Depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia. My wife is treated for these as well as her dementia.

A chat with the GP may get you some help. If you would like to read the Society Factsheet about this issue just click the 2nd line of the following link

Supporting a person with dementia who has depression, anxiety or apathy (444)
PDF printable version

It took a few tweaks to my wife's meds before some relief was provided. One aspect to consider with the medics is Memantine as that Alzheimer's med can sometimes help with the behavioural and psychological symptoms in dementia.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A couple of years ago I was prescribed Mirtazapine for depression and one of the things I was told was that although you had to start at a low dose and build up from there, at the lower dosage it makes you more sleepy, but this affect is much less at the higher doses.
I must say that this is exactly what I found. It sounds weird, but when the dosage was increased, I was much less sleepy

Moonstruck

Nov 14, 2021
A couple of years ago I was prescribed Mirtazapine for depression and one of the things I was told was that although you had to start at a low dose and build up from there, at the lower dosage it makes you more sleepy, but this affect is much less at the higher doses.
I must say that this is exactly what I found. It sounds weird, but when the dosage was increased, I was much less sleepy

Moonstruck

Nov 14, 2021
Thanks for sharing that with me. I am expecting the GP to up my mum's dose at some point so I hope that is the case.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Mum is on Mirtazipine, partly to help with sleeping, and partly because she would cry at the slightest thing, which was very distressing for us both. Initially she was on 30mg, which worked well for a while, but recently the crying started again, and it was increased to 45mg, which I think is the maximum. So far, so good ...

Moonstruck

Nov 14, 2021
I’m sorry to hear your mum is weepy and I think this is a certain stage because that is how my mother is. Very confused and cries at the least little thing. She is in hospital so I do a video call so she can speak to my father but not sure it is helpful as she cries and that upsets my father. It sounds as though you are doing as much as you can - it is never clear whether symptoms are medicine induced or just part of the dementia.
Doesn't it make you feel so sad. I find it hard to accept. Your poor Dad, I feel for him. Such an awful disease that we have to see our loved ones go through.

Moonstruck

Nov 14, 2021
Mum is on Mirtazipine, partly to help with sleeping, and partly because she would cry at the slightest thing, which was very distressing for us both. Initially she was on 30mg, which worked well for a while, but recently the crying started again, and it was increased to 45mg, which I think is the maximum. So far, so good ...
Thanks for sharing that. I end up crying along with mum so hoping that maybe a higher dose will help.