Anxiety any tried and tested suggestions

Helend49

Nov 22, 2021
Good morning, I’m 72 and I have very recently October 2021, been diagnosed with mixed dementia Alzheimer’s/vascular. I’m working my way up to 20mg Memantine ( my heart rate is low due to beta blockers) I wondered if anyone on this very informative site could suggest a way I can help myself without more medication with smells or any tips. I have started painting by number, word search , reading. I find that I have days when I feel really anxious even sitting in a chair at home, perhaps a few days in a week then i‘m okay for a few days, but especially in busy/noisy environments, like supermarkets. I have a wonderful supportive husband who tries so hard to help. I also get really angry when I find I can’t “think” how to do something that I have previously had no problems with. It’s like my brain stops sending messages back, it’s like asking google a question and nothing happens! Dam internet!!! Has anyone else had this problem either themselves or with someone they care for? my husband and I hope to go to a dementia coffee morning mid December, this will hopefully give my husband some support and insight. Also to let him know he isn’t alone! ( we have always been very insula and have only wanted each other’s company) , “I knew I would get old one day, I just just didn’t think it would be this quickly “ But each day is a shiny new day, and I have so much to be thankful for! Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I know with support, laughter and information we can make this journey so much easier ( famous last words?) thank you Helen xx

I thank you for the years

Oct 5, 2021
Hi Helen!

I am on this forum because both my Mum and my Dad have memory problems and I find that its content is very informative and supportive.

I generally read the posts on this forum rather than contributing to them but in your case I really wanted to respond to you even though I cannot provide you with any specific advice or guidance.

I am blown away by your optimism and resilience. You have clearly got a lot of insight into your condition and are doing as much as you can to preserve this for as long as possible. I am so pleased that you have a wonderfully supportive husband and would like to wish you both every best wishes for the future. Sending you both love and strength xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen. @Helend49 Welcome. I`m sorry about your diagnosis. You must have been through a very worrying time.
I find that I have days when I feel really anxious even sitting in a chair at home, perhaps a few days in a week then i‘m okay for a few days
It sounds as if you are doing everything possible to help yourself but I do think on days when you are struggling it's best to listen to your body and mind and relax until these feelings pass.

Would you be helped by listening to music? My husband enjoyed Classic FM and watching Andrea Bocelli DVDs and found them calming.

Try to think of what helps you. Sometimes it helps to feel you are being active and stimulated. Other times it helps to be calm.

Bun

Oct 2, 2021
Good morning, I’m 72 and I have very recently October 2021, been diagnosed with mixed dementia Alzheimer’s/vascular. I’m working my way up to 20mg Memantine ( my heart rate is low due to beta blockers) I wondered if anyone on this very informative site could suggest a way I can help myself without more medication with smells or any tips. I have started painting by number, word search , reading. I find that I have days when I feel really anxious even sitting in a chair at home, perhaps a few days in a week then i‘m okay for a few days, but especially in busy/noisy environments, like supermarkets. I have a wonderful supportive husband who tries so hard to help. I also get really angry when I find I can’t “think” how to do something that I have previously had no problems with. It’s like my brain stops sending messages back, it’s like asking google a question and nothing happens! Dam internet!!! Has anyone else had this problem either themselves or with someone they care for? my husband and I hope to go to a dementia coffee morning mid December, this will hopefully give my husband some support and insight. Also to let him know he isn’t alone! ( we have always been very insula and have only wanted each other’s company) , “I knew I would get old one day, I just just didn’t think it would be this quickly “ But each day is a shiny new day, and I have so much to be thankful for! Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I know with support, laughter and information we can make this journey so much easier ( famous last words?) thank you Helen xx
Hi Helen I have just read your message. I am so sorry must be very frightening for you. Gd you have a supportive husband. Bless you both. Hope you find all the support you need. XX

Helend49

Nov 22, 2021
Hi Helen I have just read your message. I am so sorry must be very frightening for you. Gd you have a supportive husband. Bless you both. Hope you find all the support you need. XX
Hi Bun, I’m still finding my way around this site and how to reply! ?. Thank you for taking the time to get in contact, it’s very much appreciated. I can’t say that there are not times when I’m not scared of the future, I would be unusual if I didn’t, but by the same token I keep thinking "someone has made a mistake " but of course they haven’t! ( just wishful thinking ? on my part) but because I still have a long journey ahead of me, I’m trying not to pack too much baggage yet, I’ll get it along the way! Come to think of it, "I’ll wear my problem and turn it inside out, when it’s dirty!. ?. Anyway take care and thank you. Xx

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hi Helen, accepting and making a plan that will no doubt change as you find different ways to overcome the issues dementia throws at you is a very positive way forward. I don't know if you've heard of an amazing lady called Wendy Mitchel who (with help!) wrote the book "Somebody I used to know". Her book is an enlightening insight into how she has adapted in order to live as well as she can after a diagnosis of early onset dementia. It's available on Amazon and is such a fantastic and easy read. She also writes a daily blog called "Which me am I today?" This can be found on wordpress https://whichmeamitoday.wordpress.com/ I cared for my mum for many years with dementia and just reading Wendy's book and blog helped me enormously even though my mum was much further along the journey. xx

Trish2

Nov 29, 2021
Hi I am 53 and have the same diagnosis of Alzimers/vascular I too have started memantine and I have been on the 20mg dose for two weeks now after working up from 5mg, some days I think they help other days I don't know. I am still trying to work but it is getting harder to stay focused and I get so tired after a day at work. I am now in bed at 18.46 as feeling exhausted. I do feel lost with this diagnosis especially at my age not working will leave us in debt.

Helend49

Nov 22, 2021
Hi I am 53 and have the same diagnosis of Alzimers/vascular I too have started memantine and I have been on the 20mg dose for two weeks now after working up from 5mg, some days I think they help other days I don't know. I am still trying to work but it is getting harder to stay focused and I get so tired after a day at work. I am now in bed at 18.46 as feeling exhausted. I do feel lost with this diagnosis especially at my age not working will leave us in debt.
Hi Trish, I can’t imagine how tiring it must be for you, our brain has to work so much harder. I think one of the symptoms is that some days are better than others. I was so lucky that I had already retired when I was diagnosed, but my brain has to work really hard when I try to do “stuff” and sometimes bits fall out of the filing cabinet.! It’s a bit like the draw that most people have that holds bits and bobs, you know it’s there somewhere !!!!!! But the gremlins come and move it to a different place. try contacting citzen advice to see what financial help is available, also you can claim some discount on the council tax, get a free disabled with companion bus pass, or if you are still driving, I understand that you can get free/reduced car tax. Im sure that there are lots more that you can claim, I only know about these things as I have a friend who is 63 with Alzheimer’s and has recently given up work, and like you was really worried about money! Keep your chin up, find something to smile/ laugh about every day if you can. Just don’t put the coffee in the kettle!? it needs to go in the cup!!!!!. Xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Trish2
a warm welcome to DTP

should you begin thinking of stopping working, do first ask your employer and pension scheme about retiring early due to ill health as it may be possible for you to do this, so you would recieve a pension to help with finances

Claire_formydad

Dec 4, 2021
Helen,
I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Yours was the first post and read and it’s really touched me. I really wish my Dad could be as open, as you are about his Alzheimers. He won’t talk about it with us and we do it his way of course, it’s how he’s always been but I do think your sharing approach will help, as will seeking ways in which you can deal with things like your anxiety.
My Dad suffers a lot with anxiety and the things that really calm him are music (irish music from his youth), and to some extent, sometimes, touch eg holding his hand. I know a little about anxiety from work unrelated to dementia and I hope to introduce some things to him that i have learnt about… massage/aromatherapy if he’s willing. Reading is also a known, effective way to reduce stress/anxiety :) Also deep calm breaths. I really hope you find something that helps you. You sound like a ray of sunshine - wishing you well x

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
Hello Helen, i also suffer with (Vascular ) Dementia for the past five years now, and can relate to most of what you written. My way of getting through the day is by taking exercise going walking, reading and listening to music, that I grew up with. Take part in an Activity group once a month, that exercises the brain too. Tablets I take are for seizures Lamotrigine Mylan 100mg twice a day 1 in morning & 1 in the evening. I am 74 soon to be 75 , you can always come on this page and get help.