Anxiety and skin irritation

Greens

Apr 29, 2018
My Mum has a memory problem which is worsening daily. She has had blood tests and two tests from the Memory Nurse and is awaiting her CT scan. She remains living independently with help from myself and my brothers with shopping, outings, appointments etc but quite recently she has been phoning us up to 15 times a day regardless of whether we are at work which is attention seeking because at the time of the call it seems urgent whereas 15 mins later everything is fine. She cannot remember that she has already called you and therefore calls you again within 2 minutes leaving exactly the same message. Demanding a visit from the Doctor is now a key theme of her calls. She has sensitive skin and has been prescribed a steroid cream for itching on her wrists but she claims her neck is now irritating her as well - we have of course taken her to the Doctor recently. I believe the itchiness worsens when she becomes anxious about things and I have mentioned this to the memory nurse and GP but no one is confirming or denying that this might be connected to her memory problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Greens, welcome to TP. You should find this a friendly and supportive place.
Yes, I have experience of this with my wife. Anxious about everything and repetitive because of her forgetfulness. The skin itch is so bad that she rips lumps out of herself. I’ve worked my way through creams, dressings and will be asking the GP to alter her meds next.

I think there was a fairly recent thread on the subject of this skin itch so if you have a dig around you may find it. I found it useful to look back through the pages of the various sub forums when I joined as TP is a gold mine for information.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to TP, Greens.
I don't have experience of the phone calls, but that must be stressful for you. My OH does have skin problems on her legs which are caused by her diabetes and lymphedema, but she does occasionally get an itch on her back which I think is possibly anxiety related, but a heavy dose of talcum powder lets her relax for the rest of the evening grateful for the help. Is it worth trying on your mother?
She gets obsessed with their kidneys too, and calm reassurance does not always help. I'm not sure what to advise other than patience and distraction while your mum works through these obsessions.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My Mum has a memory problem which is worsening daily. She has had blood tests and two tests from the Memory Nurse and is awaiting her CT scan. She remains living independently with help from myself and my brothers with shopping, outings, appointments etc but quite recently she has been phoning us up to 15 times a day regardless of whether we are at work which is attention seeking because at the time of the call it seems urgent whereas 15 mins later everything is fine. She cannot remember that she has already called you and therefore calls you again within 2 minutes leaving exactly the same message. Demanding a visit from the Doctor is now a key theme of her calls. She has sensitive skin and has been prescribed a steroid cream for itching on her wrists but she claims her neck is now irritating her as well - we have of course taken her to the Doctor recently. I believe the itchiness worsens when she becomes anxious about things and I have mentioned this to the memory nurse and GP but no one is confirming or denying that this might be connected to her memory problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Can't help with the phone calls but my dad has an itch problem. His hands itch and then his fingers. He scratches his palms all the time followed by a scratching of every finger all the way down to the tip then he will start again. I have tried all of the creams but he still does it. He's been doing it for years now.

I think it is just another dementia habit. I will be honest it drives me nuts.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
oh yes, I remember the phone calls but not to that level. It was always an emergency and mum would try my home number first, then my mobile number and then she would call my work number if I didn't get back to her in time. She usually just wanted me to get more pads or something. I would say "that's not really an emergency is it?" and she would say "it is to me!"

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just some understanding of the calls.

Greens

Apr 29, 2018
oh yes, I remember the phone calls but not to that level. It was always an emergency and mum would try my home number first, then my mobile number and then she would call my work number if I didn't get back to her in time. She usually just wanted me to get more pads or something. I would say "that's not really an emergency is it?" and she would say "it is to me!"

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just some understanding of the calls.

Greens

Apr 29, 2018
Thanks for replying - it helps to know it is part of the dementia process and that others have also experienced this.

Greens

Apr 29, 2018
The difficulty is I can't be with her all the time to stop her scratching but I can put her cream on for her and remind her when I am not with her. I felt sure it was connected to anxiety as it worsens when she is more anxious. Thank you for sharing your experience as I now feel my theory is right. Here's hoping things will improve.