Anxiety and Alzheimers

Caroline T

Mar 22, 2021
Hi all,
My Mum has Alzheimers and has been in a nursing home for the last 7 weeks. I cared for her 24/7 for the last 2 years and was suffering carer burn out.
I went to see Mum this morning and was upset because she has really bad anxiety and agitation.
She has suffered from this in the past and it fluctuates due to constipation, low sodium levels,etc. The nursing staff said Mum is fine and has anxiety at various times of the day and she is more settled than at the beginning of her stay.

I just wondered if anxiety was a symptom of Alzeimers and if other carers had experienced this in their relatives. It is really upsetting seeing Mum so distressed and only being able to see for half an hour every week due to restrictions.

Caroline T

Mar 22, 2021
Thank you. I asked the carers if other people with dementia suffered like this, they said everyone is different. Our GP is not very sympathetic to Mum's case, even refused to carry on blood tests for low sodrum levels, said we know you Mum has low levels for years, so, no point keep testing!!