Antipsychotic drug Quetiapine

paddiwak

Dec 14, 2015
My OH was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2015. He has, over the years, been on a cocktail of drugs which helped to a degree in the early years but now he is so on edge all the time. He is constantly at work trying to solve problems. If we can get him to sit for 1/2 hour we are doing well. His mental health doctor has now diagnosed Lewybody Dementia.
His cocktail of drugs was Memantine, Mirtazapine plus Losartan for high blood pressure. He is now going through an agressive phase, which I find very, very distressing, not so much for myself as he's rarely agressive towards me, but he is to the staff whenever they try washing, bathing or changing him. I think deep down he must resent people having to do those things for him. Unfortunately there are no male nurses in the Nursing Home he now lives in.
Because of his constant agitation he has now been prescribed Quetiapine along with the other drugs named above. This is a drug I've not come across before on Posts and wondered whether anyone else has come across it.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother took quetiapine for a couple of years at least. She did not have any side effects that I am aware of. It was very helpful for her aggression and agitation. As I always say, give it a try but monitor carefully.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH was the same, he took it, starting when he was in his delusional/hallucinatory phase. Worked wonders!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was originally on quetiapine, but it had no affect at all. When it became obvious that it was not working and it wasn't just that he needed a stronger dose/needed to adjust to it, he was switched to a different medication (risperidone) which worked very well.