antidepressants

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi everyone

havent posted for a while, so a little update on mum and her antidepressants
she's been on them a few weeks now and up untill last weekend we were seeing an improvement she's been smiling more, a lot chattier, and the nurses were saying how different she was, its her birthday friday, so my dads family came to stay last weekend and we had a early celebration with her with a cake and cards and she was fine but when we left she started getting aggresive towards the staff, we had arranged for her to come home on sunday but she was very aggresive towards my dad so we made the decision to take her back to hospital, the nursing staff seems to think that the prozac has lifted her mood a bit too much and made her more aware of what is going on so its back to the drawing board, they might have to reduce the dosage to try and keep her stable.
when dad took her back she said to him "you wait your going to be here one day see how you like it"
i'd love to know where all this comes from as most of her conversations are just garbled murmurings.
she obviously is still very much aware of her surroundings,
all this has left me more confused than ever, just when i think the dementia has taken over she comes back fighting.
im just off for a visit so fingers crossed she's still not to angry with us for taking her back:eek:

hope your all ok
take care xxx

p.s im so pleased it was TP having problems i'd thought id been banned when i couldnt get on the last few days:eek: :D xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Donna,
Hope the visit has gone well. It must be so much more difficult for you, when mum has the lucid times, and expresses her feelings. You and your dad are doing all that you can though.
Take care. Love Helen.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It can all get rather confusing when giving medication for depression with someone that has dementia, as taking Prozac can make a person aggresive, anyway it is well know and has been in the papers.

Like Amy says it may well be that your mum is having a enlighten day anyway knowing what is happening to her so its coming out in anger can’t blame her .

Also may be your mum can’t take the stress of every one making a fuss of her birthday Getting confused so is takeing it out on the staff

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I have posted elsewhere about the positive effects of antidepressants on my mother (in her case, citalopram) but you're right - the downside is an increased awareness of their own predicament. It is unfortunate if with increased awareness comes a sense of the unfairness of it all - if that's the case, it's no wonder that she feels agressive. It's a difficult situation to be in - is it better for her to be medicated to the point where she can recognise that she's not as she was, or is it better to reduce the meds so that she can again be oblivious? It can be difficult to get the dosage right with so many of the available antidepressants - too little and there's no point, too much and you can flip right into serotonin syndrome which in its serious manifestation can be fatal or if milder can result in bizzare behaviour such sugar cravings and eating a jar of jam in one sitting (guess how I know this!).

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It's a difficult situation to be in - is it better for her to be medicated to the point where she can recognise that she's not as she was, or is it better to reduce the meds so that she can again be oblivious

your so right when you say that as it could be also said for Alzheimer's drugs
PS

However, I suppose quality of life can come in to it, but how can a person with dementia define quality of life, so it is left up to the carer to define it . If you undertand what I mean .

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
dmc said:
p.s im so pleased it was TP having problems i'd thought id been banned when i couldnt get on the last few days:eek: :D xx

Tell me about it! Thought it was their nice way of being 'subtle'!!!!:eek: :D

On a much more serious note, so pleased you managed what you all did for your mum. Well done!

Isn't is just the way? You get accustomed to one thing and bang! here comes another surprise or challenge (or both together).....?

Nice to see you around.... been wondering about you!

Love, Karen, x

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
thanks everyone for all the replies,
i have been trying to get on TP but keep getting "cannot find server":confused:
one thing i forgot to mention is mum has a ear infection does anyone know if this can have the same effect as a water infection?

the visit didnt go to bad, she started crying (no tears) when we got there saying get me out please take me home, we managed to pacify her took her for a walk, she kept staring at me, as though she was trying to work out who i was, even though she kept calling my name (very strange).
I managed to put some makeup on her and tong her hair which she seems to like (makes me feel as if im doing something worthwhile ):rolleyes:
tomorow is her 66th birthday, we were going to try and have a small party in the house but i dont think she will be allowed home im not sure she's even aware that it is her birthday.
ive bought her a silver bracelet with "mum " on it, i was really stuck for ideas, my dad seems to think its a waste of time as she's not aware of it but as this is most probably the last birthday im going to have with her i felt we really ought to make a bigger effort.

on a lighter note, does any one know how to get rid of a scream ive got a big one building up in my chest and a very big urge to let it go but im afraid the men in white coats will cart me off:D
any ideas will be gratefully recieved
hope everyone is ok,
take care, love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Donna

I know the feeling! There's nothing like a good scream for releasing tension, and it doesn't give you a headache like crying does. So go for it! I usually take the car out onto a quiet road and scream & scream until I feel better. Men in white coats? Bring 'em on!

Skye:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Hello skye
thanks for that, :)
glad im not alone, if you hear of any earthquakes in south wales going off the richter scale it'll be me screaming:D xxx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
dmc said:
ive bought her a silver bracelet with "mum " on it, i was really stuck for ideas, my dad seems to think its a waste of time as she's not aware of it ....

Donna, this reminded me of something I posted just the other day sharing what the Age Concern worker mentioned to me that 'it doesn't matter that she doesn't remember (what she did) etc ... she'll have some recognition of a nice time....' so, perhaps in the same way, your mum may not recognise her gift in a specific way (as in, 'it's a lovely silver bracelet') nor remember later that she had been given it ... but in those few moments of giving and receiving a gift ... well, if that gives her a feeling of a 'nice time' .... (and a special memory for you too, hopefully)

Love and hugs, and special wishes for your mum for her birthday!

Karen, xxx

PS: As for screaming - you're in South Wales? - me near Manchester - maybe we could go for the stereo effect which would hit around Birmingham ......?????;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Having a scream

Hi Skye & Donna,
I did this when I was young & stupid - got in a lift of a very tall building & screamed my way down. I would recommend being alone in the lift when you do this!!
Joanne

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
go on then TF
after three 1...2....... AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
apologies to all TP'ers in birmingham and surrounding areas:eek: :D

thanks TF for your kind thoughts i'll let you know how its recieved.
thanks all for your replies, they mean so much and youve saved me from looking like this

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Since screaming is the order of the day, and the Promenade Concerts are ongoing at present, we should plan to get the Royal Albert Hall to ourselves one day.

We should all learn that favourite song of mine "They're coming to take me away, ha-ha" my alternative to screaming.

The full lyrics are at http://codehot.co.uk/lyrics/mnop/napoleonXIV.htm for anyone who does not know it by heart already.

To make things worse, on the original single, the B side was the song played backwards.

I reckon 3,000+ people all singing this song at the Royal albert Hall might make for some publicity....eh? ;)

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
good idea brucie!!
and a great way to raise some funds for alzheimers, we'd raise the roof:eek:

tina
please tell me i didnt break another mirror:eek: if we done that in germany imagine how many we broke in birmingham!!!

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello everyone,

visited mum but i dont think she was that aware it was her birthday first thing she said was lets go come on...... the silver bracelet seemed to go down ok though she said oh thats lovely, which made me happy, not sure how long she'll remember about it but as you said karen for that second she was aware of it and she liked it.
were keeping our fingers crossed she can come home for a few days but really its down to my dad as he's the one coping at home with her.
she's having a tea party at the hospital tonight and she has all her cards in the tv room where they all sit so i hope that will go some way to compensate for her not being home with us.
or is that just me with the guilt monster on my shoulder!!!
take care all xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Donna

Glad your Mum's birthday went well. I'm sure she felt special, even if she didn't realise the significance of the occasion. Hope the weekend goes well, but please don't feel guilty, I know it's hard to accept, but you really are doing the best for your Mum.

By the way, I'm screaming in SW Scotland. Now if we can only find someone in John o'Groats, we'll hve quadraphonics!

Cheers, Skye

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Skye said:
Hi Donna

By the way, I'm screaming in SW Scotland. Now if we can only find someone in John o'Groats, we'll hve quadraphonics!

would someone near Biggar, Cydesdale, screaming, help the quadraphonics.
That is the way I feel to-day, Mum had an assessment with phyco- ger, no suprises, she flipped became really angry as per usual, so no assessment
Alfjess x

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Donna,
don't know if you want to hear this, but yes, I think it may just be the guilt monster. Mum has had a happy time , and you have done that for her - just rest happy with that thought.
Love Helen

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
alfjess said:
I can't seem to get this quote thinngy right
Alfjess

:) Don't worry about it Alfjess, the meaning comes thorugh anyway, even if not perfectly 'packaged'.

If you want to quote another person, click the QUOTE button at the bottom right-hand corner of their reply. You'll get the whole of their text reproduced in a reply screen. You can then just type your message below, or edit out some of it first if you just want to comment on one sentence of it.