Antibiotics

Summers

Feb 15, 2012
Hi, I don't come on here very much even though I think it's amazing I just can't cope but I really would like some feedback from you all. My mum has advanced Alzheimer's she's had it 12 years and is now 72. My dad and I care for her at home. He is 77 and an unbelievable husband and dad. Mum has semantic dementia which means she understands loads but cannot speak except for a few words now and then. She still laughs a lot and we do our best. She is on antibiotics for a bad toe which she knocked when she fell last week. Now she was on antibiotics in the summer of 2019 too and this is the odd part. She has so much more language since she started taking them (So sorry I didn't see the type they were but I will). She is more vocal, alert, positive and just awake! Has anyone else shared this experience? I'm really really taken back today. What could be in antibiotics that has such an incredible reaction? Thanks for your time everyone and please feel free to repost this as it love to hear from anyone.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Summers
I wonder whether the antibiotics is somehow taking some of the strain off some areas, as it helps the body fight infection
there are so many odd ups and downs it's just not always clear what's behind them

Elsu

Apr 8, 2021
Hi, I don't come on here very much even though I think it's amazing I just can't cope but I really would like some feedback from you all. My mum has advanced Alzheimer's she's had it 12 years and is now 72. My dad and I care for her at home. He is 77 and an unbelievable husband and dad. Mum has semantic dementia which means she understands loads but cannot speak except for a few words now and then. She still laughs a lot and we do our best. She is on antibiotics for a bad toe which she knocked when she fell last week. Now she was on antibiotics in the summer of 2019 too and this is the odd part. She has so much more language since she started taking them (So sorry I didn't see the type they were but I will). She is more vocal, alert, positive and just awake! Has anyone else shared this experience? I'm really really taken back today. What could be in antibiotics that has such an incredible reaction? Thanks for your time everyone and please feel free to repost this as it love to hear from anyone.
Well this is interesting. My mum90yrs knocked her leg, then became infected, on antibiotics, day 3, legs improving, swelling and redness reducing. Today, been awake all day, conversing normally, sensitive to the news e.g. that must be difficult for the police in northern Ireland (recent troubles) MasterChef, " I am waiting to see who wins". Then, "oh the apprentice us on now" an old favourite programle. Normally mum is v tired and keeled over in the chair, or leaning back, eyes closed. Now she is saying tomorrow I must wear my clothes and I want to wash my feet. Mum hasn't been able to plan anything or indicate an intention for a year or so. Short term memory has improved; no I don't need to change my pad, I did that an hour ago. Normally mum says No and no I don't need the toilet. Today she has visited the toilet 3 times, quite happy to go when suggested.
I am now researching antibiotics and dementia, I see there are some papers, I wonder if there are any trials?
Mum asleep at the moment, so I will be interested to see how she is when she wakes up this morning. Stayed overnight as not sure with this change whether she would be more active and at risk as mobility had been impacted with the infection.
Mum taking Clarithromycin 500mg 1tab every 12 hrs.
What a treat to have Mum back at least for a while!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This sudden apparent improvement in cognition can happen in dementia. What is happening is that the brain is trying to find a route around the damage - a bit like a detour when a road is blocked - and sometimes it finds one, so the person can regain that function. Sadly, it is usually short lived as the damage from dementia is still continuing and the "detour" will eventually get blocked too.

Treasure this time that she is appearing more lucid @Elsu
xxxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Elsu
a warm welcome to DTP
lovely to read that your mum is doing so well at the moment ... as you say, what a treat, and long may it last

now you've joined us, do keep posting with anything that's on your mind

(just to let you know, this thread is from Feb 2020, you can see the date of a post at top left of the text box)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27