Anti depression and smokeing ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Does anyone who has taken prozac (sp) anti depression tablets and smoke, find that when they smoke they get a headache more strongly, then when they don’t smoke.

Its like I feel a pursuer behind my forehead when I smoke, I know I should give up. Its really became a habit now. But just wondering why this happen . I have been on them AD for 2 weeks now

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Maggie - I don't have to tell you you should not smoke :p (from a fellow smoker :) )... but you have raised something here which I have never seen explored before on TP .....

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread - but it may serve both carers taking anti-depressants as well as (whatever the PC word is) for those 'suffering' directly from dementia and/or depression .....

Other than taking 'nicotine' dependency suppressants, I have never been aware of any contra-indication for anyone taking a prescribed drug and smoking cigarettes ...

YET - nicotine IS mind altering ... as are anti-depressants ..... as is Aricept etc etc ????? I know there has been a thread rceently about smoking in terms of the ability to find somewhere (physically) to 'feed' the habit ..... but in terms of how nicotine dependency or denial comes into play in terms of interacting with other legal/prescribed drugs .......?

Sorry, I'm just throwing out thoughts that have been puzzling me a while .... hoping someone can help make some sense of it .....

Love, Karen,

(PS Maggie: 2 weeks very early days with Prozac - persevere if that's what has been prescribed!)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Maggie,
Can't answer your question - just wanted to send you a [[[[[[HUG]]]]]]].
Love Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
good point there thanks so much for that
nicotine IS mind altering ... as are anti-depressants ..... as is Aricept etc etc ????? I

my be the nicotine and the chemicals in the anti depression are having a fight it my brain banging each other lol anti depession saying I can be more mind altering then you Nicotine , so get out :D just my humour :)

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi maggie

like Karen says, 2 weeks is early days for getting used to prozac. if you're not having lots of other problematic side effects it's worth giving them a chance.

there's some suggestion that nicotine and SSRI anti-depressants such as prozac have similar sort of effects. so it's possible that when you smoke the prozac affects you more/differently. the stuff i've seen is more in terms of prozac being useful for helping with stopping smoking though, rather affect on headaches. here's one such link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000953.htm

this might be the wrong time to suggest that the prozac might help you to quit smoking :eek:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Áine
this might be the wrong time to suggest that the prozac might help you to quit smoking

No its not , its just what I wanted to hear as I only started smoking in my 30s silly really and every time now and then when I pick that Cig up it reminds me why I started , just to wind my ex husband up and it all back fired on me . am of to read that link , thank-you all for your support, don’t know what I would do without you lot Group (((HUG)))

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Maggie

That's a really good decision. I've been trying to stop myself suggesting it, because I know how much pressure you've been under recently.

If the prozac helps you kick the habit, go for it. You've got a ready-made support network here.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Maggie,

I think I`ve mentioned before on TP that I smoked for 40 years and admit to being adicted. I stopped 7 years ago but know if i smoked just 1 cigarette, i`d be back to 15 a day again.

What I want you to know is my son also smoked for a few years. He married a girl who is asthmatic, so had to stop. He was having a `lad`s night out` once and took a cigarette that was offered him. It was the first he`d had for over a year. He inhaled the smoke and it went straight to his head, making him feel really dizzy and light headed. It really hit home, what a powerful effect smoking can have on you.

So if you are taking a different drug at the same time [because nicotine is a drug too] there is every possibility the two might clash.

With love