anti depressant

pumpkin31

Mar 26, 2020
HI just had a phone call from the home asking if its ok to put my husband on mitrasapine dont think thats the rite spelling as he has had a low mood the past couple of days as hes asking constantly to come home anyone else have any knoledge about taking these tablets dont think ive spelt that word rite either spelling not the best today . Last time he was on antidepressants he was sleeping all day and not moving about and he got a deep vein thrombosis which is quite worrying home said they will take him off it if they find hes sleeping to much. His low mood could be the fact that hes not seen me in nearly 9 weeks and his birthday tomoro when he will be 82 and we cant spend it together has made him feel so low always asking when im coming to visit which is sad cause he thinks ive abandoned him and when i facetime he thinks im in the next room and asks why dont i come in for a cup of tea as i dont need to be sitting on my own. hes got middle stage vascular dementia and alzheimers. Sorry for the spelling mistakes was a good speller years ago top of the class.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @pumpkin31 . Mirtazapine is a widely used anti-depressant which can also be useful for anxiety, and normally does help with sleep, particularly at a low dose. I take it myself. My mother has vascular dementia and is prescribed it with other medication for that condition. If the GP thinks it is safe to use, then it is probably worth a try to keep your husband a little calmer and lift his mood.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
My dad has the same diagnosis and I have just found out today that he's also been prescribed this mirtazapine. He has only been on it for four weeks and like many anti-depressants it takes a while (4-6 weeks apparently) to take effect. He has apparently had no ill effects. Certainly when I spoke to him last week he didn't seem at all depressed, rather the opposite, keen to get going, move out of the care home and start his new life in Australia! All that stands in his way is the pandemic, apparently. I'd say it's worth a try for a couple of months - any side effects should be reported to the DR and if it doesn't agree with him, he can be taken off them. There are so many anti-depressants, there's a wide spectrum. Unlike dementia-specific drugs...