Anthony Hopkins

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I did see "Iris" with Judi Dench, "Away From Her" with Julie Christie and that abomination of a movie "The Notebook" when my mother was alive. I was much more interested/motivated in seeing such films and also documentaries at that time. Now I have less interest. I have got angry when I thought the depiction of dementia was ridiculous, as it was in "The Notebook" - personal opinion only.

I haven't seen the Anthony Hopkins movie but I would neither avoid it or seek it out. On the other hand, I have recorded "Elizabeth is Missing" with Glenda Jackson and plan on watching it at some time. Mainly because I have always admired her acting.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i tried to read the book elizabeth is missing but just couldnt get into it. maybe the film is better or makes better sense in the background thoughts and stuff. maybe there was too much detail in the book to make sense of. i did see iris and that was quite good. have you seen canal journeys with prunella scales and her husband timothy west as a series. she has dementia and you can plainly see it and theres no acting involved but a seies of programmes about great canal journeys. something seems to be missing in their eyes. barbra windsor was the same in the eyes

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I did see "Iris" with Judi Dench, "Away From Her" with Julie Christie and that abomination of a movie "The Notebook" when my mother was alive. I was much more interested/motivated in seeing such films and also documentaries at that time. Now I have less interest. I have got angry when I thought the depiction of dementia was ridiculous, as it was in "The Notebook" - personal opinion only.

I haven't seen the Anthony Hopkins movie but I would neither avoid it or seek it out. On the other hand, I have recorded "Elizabeth is Missing" with Glenda Jackson and plan on watching it at some time. Mainly because I have always admired her acting.
I watched Elizabeth is missing (although I can't remember it all now) but I thought Glenda Jackson was very good. I remember something about the movement of her fingers reminded me of my dad. Very gentle, somewhat delicate and very vulnerable. Not sure why I remember that. Worth watching but I haven't seen any of the others.

I did watch the TV series 'Unforgotten' and I thought that the storyline involving Cassie's dad was very good although it all ended very badly.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
We happened to watch The Father last night. Anthony Hopkins was magnificent. My husband found the constant changes confusing and the viewer is left with not knowing what was real and what wasn't. It was very well done.

It really affected my husband as he had a dream about my mother last night.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I watched this film some time ago now and it was a fair capture of reality. It didn't include many things the PWD experiences or their carers, but it was I found true as a dramatised version. Although I compliment the film it also challenged my own experiences and can say I will not be watching it again -it draws up too many stages where hope fell into despair.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
This is similar to how I feel @Palerider. Why do I need to watch it when it was more than enough to live it?
I agree. In some senses I was sorry I watched it. Not because the film was poor in quality, actually quite the opposite Anthony Hopkins captured a real display of what such an experience might be. Its has somehing about it, that perhaps is far more suited to those who have to figure out what is actually happening to the main character -what got to me was the same/similar experiences when each attempt to help failed. This film is a subtle contrast between PWD and their carer and displays the common theme we all inevitably face, despite our hope and efforts.

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
I have watched The Father and found it moving and could see that a lot of research had gone into it.
This evening I watched Iris ..... about the novelist Iris Murdoch and her husband John Bayley, I hadnt realised until I stated watching it that it had a dementia theme as I didn't know of this couple.... on iplay for a few more days. A powerful true love story. With Judy Dench and Jim Broadbent.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have watched The Father and found it moving and could see that a lot of research had gone into it.
This evening I watched Iris ..... about the novelist Iris Murdoch and her husband John Bayley, I hadnt realised until I stated watching it that it had a dementia theme as I didn't know of this couple.... on iplay for a few more days. A powerful true love story. With Judy Dench and Jim Broadbent.
ive seen iris and is a love story and him writing her books by dictation. that must have been hard on him.

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
Spoiler alert

I watched it with my friend who knew Mum well. I was confused throughout and at the end my friend insisted the father had been in the care home the whole time and each scene from his point of view was his experience of reality as understood through the lens of dementia .
yes it was very difficult to watch.