• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Anthony Hopkins

Canadian Joanne

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I did see "Iris" with Judi Dench, "Away From Her" with Julie Christie and that abomination of a movie "The Notebook" when my mother was alive. I was much more interested/motivated in seeing such films and also documentaries at that time. Now I have less interest. I have got angry when I thought the depiction of dementia was ridiculous, as it was in "The Notebook" - personal opinion only.

I haven't seen the Anthony Hopkins movie but I would neither avoid it or seek it out. On the other hand, I have recorded "Elizabeth is Missing" with Glenda Jackson and plan on watching it at some time. Mainly because I have always admired her acting.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i tried to read the book elizabeth is missing but just couldnt get into it. maybe the film is better or makes better sense in the background thoughts and stuff. maybe there was too much detail in the book to make sense of. i did see iris and that was quite good. have you seen canal journeys with prunella scales and her husband timothy west as a series. she has dementia and you can plainly see it and theres no acting involved but a seies of programmes about great canal journeys. something seems to be missing in their eyes. barbra windsor was the same in the eyes

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I did see "Iris" with Judi Dench, "Away From Her" with Julie Christie and that abomination of a movie "The Notebook" when my mother was alive. I was much more interested/motivated in seeing such films and also documentaries at that time. Now I have less interest. I have got angry when I thought the depiction of dementia was ridiculous, as it was in "The Notebook" - personal opinion only.

I haven't seen the Anthony Hopkins movie but I would neither avoid it or seek it out. On the other hand, I have recorded "Elizabeth is Missing" with Glenda Jackson and plan on watching it at some time. Mainly because I have always admired her acting.
I watched Elizabeth is missing (although I can't remember it all now) but I thought Glenda Jackson was very good. I remember something about the movement of her fingers reminded me of my dad. Very gentle, somewhat delicate and very vulnerable. Not sure why I remember that. Worth watching but I haven't seen any of the others.

I did watch the TV series 'Unforgotten' and I thought that the storyline involving Cassie's dad was very good although it all ended very badly.