Another world

Flower girl

Jan 27, 2017
Bedfordshire
My husband seems to be in another world he is talking about things that are real to him but are just not true. I don't think I should contradict him as he really believes what he says and tells people, is true (I am usually behind him mouthing that it's dementia) but it is really getting me down. Could it be his medication or is this quite normal.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Does he have a diagnosis? It could be medication, if this is a new symptom you are seeing, but in my, sad, experience, this is a symptom of dementia.

Maggiemol

Feb 28, 2017
Devon
My husband seems to be in another world he is talking about things that are real to him but are just not true. I don't think I should contradict him as he really believes what he says and tells people, is true (I am usually behind him mouthing that it's dementia) but it is really getting me down. Could it be his medication or is this quite normal.

It is just part of the illness. My husband has a whole series of stories which he believes to be true. Most people will quickly realise its the dementia talking and just nod and move on. It can be very difficult in the beginning but you learn to accept.

Flower girl

Jan 27, 2017
Bedfordshire
Does he have a diagnosis? It could be medication, if this is a new symptom you are seeing, but in my, sad, experience, this is a symptom of dementia.

Hi Amethyst yes he has mixed dementia vascular and Alzheimer's he has been telling these stories for a while but it seems to be getting more and more.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
The thing that really gets me, is that my OH will remember and repeat endlessly something he has imagined, but forgets what has really happened. It is so bizarre!

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Exaggerating

My OH does the same. Exaggerating everything to be bigger and better than it was and sometimes seeming to make things up. At first it really bothered me but now I think to myself if the people don't know him we are hardly likely to see them again so it doesn't matter and if we know them they know he has Alzheimer's so what he is saying is going to be muddled and I can put them straight another time quietly. Took a while to train myself to do this but it avoids confrontation which can result in a shouting match when you least want it.

Flower girl

Jan 27, 2017
Bedfordshire
Thank you all for your replies, I feel much better now I know this sort of behaviour is normal, well as normal as it can be. Talking point is amazing ask a question and before you know it lots of kind people are there with advice, where else can you get this kind of caring help.
Flower girl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705