(Another!) Vaccine Question - accessibility

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Dad received a text yesterday inviting him for his vaccine. I'm busy trying to convince mum that he should have one (that's another story - let's assume I've managed to convince her!) but also, Dad is pretty much housebound and I'd be worried about whether we'd be able to get him across London to his hub.

Has there been any info about how they get the vaccine to people who can't really leave home? And when this might be?

The link I've been sent is so unclear. It asks whether dad has accessibility issues (I ticked YES) but then it says "YOU CAN ONLY BOOK ONE APPOINTMENT THROUGH THIS PORTAL". I don't want to end up booking (and wasting) a slot that he can't get to, but there isn't ANY information about how or when he might then get another opportunity. I'm just a bit confused as to what to do.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
you need to get in touch with his GP. i am going to have the same difficulty when my turn comes and they have said it might be later. its a bit dangerous in london going across. to the hub.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Kay111 provision has been made to give the vaccine to those who are housebound so as @jennifer1967 has said, contact the GP and they should be able to let you know when this is likely to happen as it will vary from area to area.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you, that's good to know. I wasn't sure whether calling them was a good idea (they have a long automated message when you first call in saying PLEASE DON'T CALL US ABOUT THE VACCINE) but I don't want him to miss out.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The system should pick it up.
People within 45 minutes travel time of a large hub are invited to book an appointment, if they don't do so the local primary care network takes over and the person is asked to attend a local site or arrangements made for a home visit as appropriate.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Ring the surgery and make sure your dad is on the housebound list. You will probably have to accept that there will be a slight delay in getting it out to him. My surgery has a "don't ring us" message, but were very understanding. It helps if you are really apologetic for ringing.....

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you all :) 100% appreciate there will be a delay, I just don't want him to miss out :) I just wish it were made clear on the booking portal that if you can't attend that hub call up, you haven't lost your chance or will be forgotten about.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
No, it's not clear - which was my excuse for calling the surgery!
There are also a lot of pharmacies who are now able to offer vaccination. If that might be an option for you, it may be worth waiting a few days, then logging into the NHS website and seeing if any new options have been added.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I rang our surgery the other day as OH was offered one. It will be a 52 mile round trip, which I can get him to even though he is in a wheelchair. I asked if there was anywhere closer, I know there is a couple of hubs that are but the surgery said the one offered is the only one their patients have access to. There was no mention of waiting for somewhere nearer or any options of upcoming alternatives.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
We are in the South East. A friend who is eligible (i.e had NHS letter) looked a couple of weeks ago and was only offered a hub about 20 miles away, so didn't bother. Yesterday he logged in to NHS website and was able to go to a pharmacy 5 miles away. There were several options, all much closer than the hub. I suspect that, like so many things, it's a bit of a postcode lottery.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello, just in case anyone was curious about this. The GP said that they would hope to get someone round to my dad at home (who is in the current group of getting his texts this week) around mid feb. Bear in mind this is just local to me and how my local GP are doing things, so take it all with those caveats, but it sounds like they'll do the first 4 priority groups first at the hubs and then start rolling it out to priority groups 1-4 who have to have theirs at home. :)