Another setback..

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hello all,

During the last couple of weeks my Nan has developed some sores on her legs that are getting increasingly worse. My parents took her to the doctors when they first started to get worse (as my Mum says the patches on her legs have been there for years) and the doctor prescribed antibiotics which, so far, have done nothing.

When we arrived home from work on Monday evening, the sores looked far worse and very deep so my parents took my Nan to the local hospital who could only really bandage them up and say that the sores looked vascular (my Nan has heart problems and diabetes contributing to the vascular dementia)- as they were unable to prescribe any medication due to not knowing what tablets my Nan is currently taking (I would have thought that their computer systems were linked up?).

My Dad is now taking my Nan back to the doctors on Thursday for them to reassess the situation. Yet again the doctors seem to be doing very little (maybe there's nothing they can do), and my Mum, especially, is getting worried that infection is setting in.

Emma

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Emma

The NHS having joined up PC's...now there's a laugh, but you would have thought they could have 'phoned your GP.

You might want to check private messages in User Control Panel, I passed on a bit of info about paying for Care Homes etc

Geraldine

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hi Geraldine,

I forgot to mention - the funniest thing was - it was our GP that my Nan saw! He was on duty at the hospital that evening! Oh well!

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hello all,

After my Nan's visit to the doctor's last thursday, where her legs were just re-bandaged, we were told that the district nurse would visit this week. (couldn't give a time - and my parents work full-time). My Mum came home last night and noticed that the bandages needed changing (I won't go in to detail) - they had been on for 7 days (is this right?). My Mum then changed them and rang the doctor's this morning only to be told that the nurse who was meant to visit wasn't even aware of it!

My Mum was told that our nurse would visit today so I've stayed in to wait and someone from another surgery turned up who clearly didn't know what to do with my Nan's legs, and just bandaged them up with what she had.

They have still not said what it is - in fact all they've done is keep bandaging them up again and again, oh and say that they could not find a pulse in my Nan's feet - hence no circulation. The wounds are now seeping and not exactly fragrant. We've been told that our nurse will visit on Monday. My Mum rang the surgery again to ask what she should do over the weekend as she's worried and we were just told to take her to hospital again if it gets any worse.

It seems as though we're just being fobbed off - and we're not really sure what to do. Am I right in thinking that it could well be infected if it's not smelling right? are they just doing nothing because they don't know what it is anymore than we do/because there's nothing they can do and she's old? What do you think?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'd dial 999 for an ambulance if that's the only way they will take it seriously. Loss of circulation can have very serious consequences.

I always used to minimise things like this, not wanting to put people to trouble. Caring for my wife changed that. One shouldn't have to, but it seems one needs to .DEMAND good treatment these days, and verbally maximise any problems that arise.

It is not always their fault but with the constant calls on their time, GPs need to work on a 'who shouts loudest' basis. It is a balance however, as they can also knock people off their lists if they are inconvenient, so you can't be too loud.

Shouldn't be like that.

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
My Mum's trying her best with it, but we all tend to just about get up the courage to shout about something and that's it - we accept whatever they offer us after that. Just to ask a question in the first place is about all we can manage.

They've told us nothing - and now we're left wondering whether they don't know what it is/ they do know and there's not a lot they can do so they don't want to tell us and just keep changing her dressings/ they aren't even bothered to try and work out what it is because we haven't asked specifically.

Well the nurse is meant to be coming on Monday to look at my Nan's legs again, and luckily my Mum's on holiday from work so will be here to listen to what the nurse has to say. It's so hard to know whether you're doing the right thing - I mean it has been known for the NHS to get it all wrong and leave someone waiting when they shouldn't have. My Mum has said that she will take my Nan to the hospital if they get any worse over the weekend like you said Bruce (don't think she'd dial 999 though).

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Emma, if your Nan's legs are as bad as you say, then she will need help to get to the hospital - that's what the ambulance service is for.

It is a bit of a hurdle calling 999 for the first time. I had to do it at 1am one night when Jan rolled out of bed and bit clean through her lip. There was blood everywhere. That's a time when Alzheimer's is not such a bad thing because it dulls their feelings, and Jan didn't seem much bothered by it. I was absolutely petrified.

I called 999 for my first time then. Because I live way in the country lanes, I then had to leave her to flag down the ambulance with my torch. It took two paramedics to get her back on the bed, and there was no way I could have taken her to hospital myself - which had been my first thought.

They didn't need to take her to hospital - they said because her lip would heal quickly, it was best to just clean it up and let nature take its course. They were 100% correct.

If you call the ambulance people they may be able to make a similar judgment. Alternatively, why not try NHS Direct? [I have no experience of that]

Tell your Mum not to be afraid to call 999. I don't like the description you gave of the state of your Nan's legs. Don't panic - I'm not a medical person - but I'd want to know what is wrong as soon as possible

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
another set back

It sounds by you description of Nan's legs they could be infected or ulcerated.
The lack of pulse is of course poor circulation and the smell either infected or ulcerated.
I agree with Bruce,dont't panic but don't waste time ring 999.
norm

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Totally agree, you need to get your nan to hospital. My mum had an infected leg last year, they said they were concerned and she might need a doplar test to see if there was a pulse. If your nan is already having this problem and the wounds smell, get to the hospital and insist they tell you what is wrong. (Oh and take a list of her medications with you to hand in, it saves a lot of time and fuss.) Good luck!

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Thanks to everyone who replied.

The nurse who came yesterday (the one who didn't seem to know what she was doing!) mentioned something about our nurse possibly doing doplar tests but I couldn't remember the name after she was gone so thanks Sheila! We did take her to the hospital obviously a couple of weeks ago but they just bandaged them and sent her away and that's all they've done since.

Maybe we're just worrying too much and that's why they're not doing anything - i.e there's nothing that wrong with her - all she needs is bandages.

My Dad knows someone whose legs went bad like my Nan - and they eventually died due to the ulcers (as you mentioned Norman) so we're all just a bit worried that maybe they've got it wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75