Another question please

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Sorry to add 2 posts in my first week, but this is a confusing time, as I’m sure everyone on here already knows. So, I would rather try to find information out now rather than later, then we know what to expect. If that makes sense.
My mother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. My mother, father, sister and I all live together.. She isn’t on any benefits now (except pension).
1) I believe she can claim Attendance Allowance from 6 months after diagnosis, is that right?
2) My father is very ‘old school’ as some people might say, he doesn’t believe he should claim benefits for caring for his wife, especially when it is a “team effort” ie. I help care for her too as I am currently unemployed. If I chose to could I claim carers allowance for looking after her, which I have done since she started “changing” ie before the diagnosis. I’m not trying to break any rules at all, but while I’m unemployed, I AM caring for my mother, no dishonesty at ALL. I am not the sort to claim what I shouldn’t have, but also I believe if a person is entitled to help, they can get it if they choose. My sister can not really care for mum as my sister has Asbergers syndrome. Is it only my father who can claim, I don’t want to come across wrong, but if there is help there, I’d like to know if we can have it if needed.
Any help is much appreciated.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Don't apologise- we all keep coming back on here wanting posts to read so we can respond and feel useful!

I filled in a claim for Attendance Allowance on behalf of my OH after he had had dementia for over six months- I think he signed it. It's a mammoth form to complete- it's advisable to give as much detail as possible, so you could start by keeping a diary of the worrying aspects of mum's dementia which would assist you in completing the form. The AA would be paid into her account.

You can also apply for a Blue Badge which is a boon for parking near the hospital entrance, or close to the doctors surgery, supermarket door, etc.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Cazcaz , you can ask as many questions as you like :)

Firstly, Id like to point out that you can claim Attendance Allowance 6 months after onset of symptoms, rather than from diagnosis. So if her symptoms have been around for 6 months or more, then you can claim now.

As regards to Carers Allowence, one thing that springs to mind is whether your dad is also claiming state pension? If he is, then he is not eligible for CA as it ceases once you start to get state pension. If he is getting state pension then you are actually the only person eligible to claim it once your mum gets AA. It isnt a huge amount, but the biggest advantage of claiming it is that it pays your NI.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Cazcaz
Attendance Allowance is based on the care needs of the applicant (not means tested) rather than a diagnosis ... it's worth you looking over the form so you can see how your mum is compared to the various categories ... remember to consider your mum on her worst day when thinking of filling in the pages

once AA is granted, you can apply for Carer's Allowance

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Your area Social Services may have a member appointed to specifically assist carers and they will help you fill in the forms.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Higher level Attendance Allowance is currently just over £80/wk, lower level just over £50. Assuming daycare / groups etc., eventually re-open this could be used to pay for your mum to attend these, or for a carer to come in and give you all a break. Perhaps you can sell it to your dad on this basis? My Mum attended various groups before Covid, some cost £10, some £25, some £45, so £80 doesn't actually go that far. Care costs in our area are around £20+/hr. You have to pay for most things for dementia, especially if you are self-funding, so I would grab anything not means tested with both hands! Your parents have contributed to this all their lives, and should not feel guilty about taking it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Higher level Attendance Allowance is currently just over £80/wk, lower level just over £50. Assuming daycare / groups etc., eventually re-open this could be used to pay for your mum to attend these, or for a carer to come in and give you all a break. Perhaps you can sell it to your dad on this basis? My Mum attended various groups before Covid, some cost £10, some £25, some £45, so £80 doesn't actually go that far. Care costs in our area are around £20+/hr. You have to pay for most things for dementia, especially if you are self-funding, so I would grab anything not means tested with both hands! Your parents have contributed to this all their lives, and should not feel guilty about taking it.
the higher amount is for care needed during the night. if you can get someone that knows how to fill it in and what particular words to use, it will be better

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I did the forms myself, but admit that by the end you wonder if you aren't losing your mind too!
Age UK help a lady I know, and helped her again to go from basic to higher level.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I did the forms myself, but admit that by the end you wonder if you aren't losing your mind too!
Age UK help a lady I know, and helped her again to go from basic to higher level.
they helped doing LPA forms and dont charge. to register both its £164 but this is waived if you have certain benefits so dont pay anything for this.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Attendance Allowance is claimed 6 months after the need for assistance with "personal needs" or for the safety of herself or others. The 6 months is nothing to do with diagnosis in fact your Mum can claim Attendance Allowance even without a Diagnosis. The word Attendance is misleading, it can be used to pay for a gardener, taxis or meals out, there is no requirement to get in someone in to Attend to your Mum's needs. The DWP will need a bank account that is in your Mum's name only. Age UK sorted our claim out and sorted a blue (parking) badge at the same time. It may not be the same all over but in our area Age UK can sort most of the details for the AA form over the phone.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
The AA form is one of the most complicated and repetitive forms I have ever had to complete, I almost gave up! I felt like I had written War and Peace by the time it was finished.

Getting a disabled parking badge is not as straight forward as it appears, despite the recent addition of invisible disabilities such as dementia, my mums application was rejected by Manchester even after an appeal. I gave up then as mum went into a care home last year so our outings are greatly reduced, I no longer need to take her food shopping or to the doctors etc.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Thank you, everyone. It’s fantastic to find somewhere so welcoming at such a difficult time. Plenty of information and tips from people who have been in the same situation already. Brilliant. Thank you!

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
My OH gets AA paid into our joint account, there was no mention of her having to have an account only in her name. We have never had separate accounts in all our married life.

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Apologies, yes AA payments can be made into joint accounts, I was told it had to be an account in my wife's name only.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Cazcaz, if your dad will not attempt to claim attendance allowance on your mums behalf (it is her benefit not his) you can do it for her instead, she does not have to sign the form. Once you mum is in receipt of attendance allowance I would contact a benefits advice service or citizens advice as claims can be quite complex in a multi tiered household and you need to talk to someone who can work out the best way forward for you. Eg your mum could claim council tax reduction but that can have a knock on effect on the household benefits depending on what help you get with your unemployment. I think if you are on PIP you can still claim carers allowance but if you are on universal credit you can only get a 'carers element' added on that is less than the carers allowance.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @Cazcaz, if your dad will not attempt to claim attendance allowance on your mums behalf (it is her benefit not his) you can do it for her instead, she does not have to sign the form. Once you mum is in receipt of attendance allowance I would contact a benefits advice service or citizens advice as claims can be quite complex in a multi tiered household and you need to talk to someone who can work out the best way forward for you. Eg your mum could claim council tax reduction but that can have a knock on effect on the household benefits depending on what help you get with your unemployment. I think if you are on PIP you can still claim carers allowance but if you are on universal credit you can only get a 'carers element' added on that is less than the carers allowance.
if you are getting PIP, the same person cant get carers allowance as well.PIP is for under pensionable age like AA is for pensionable age. PIP and AA are not means tested but carers allowance is and can affect other benefits, housing benefit etc