Another problem.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I just had a call from one of my mother's carers to say that she is being hospitalized for fluid build up in her legs. Along with everything else (stroke, hypertension, epilepsy) she has atrial fibrillation. After her first epileptic seizure, she was taken off the diuretic medication that was part of her treatment for high blood pressure. Unfortunately, she still has low sodium levels, hence the hospitalization. I suspect (because I'm a pessimist, and I always cross my bridges before I come to them) that she now has heart failure. I'm just waiting to hear from her carer after she's been admitted. I doubt I'll get any firm information, and I know she's going to be very distressed by her hospitalization, and I just HATE dealing with this at a distance.

Just venting

Jennifer

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Vent away!

Hi Jennifer,
You go ahead and vent away - it helps!!!
I know what you mean when you say you hate dealing with this at a distance. However, I am in Scotland and my parents stay in Yorkshire so its a far cry from your transatlantic caring!
Can't really give you any advice (I'm only at the start of the journey waiting for tests for Dad) but I just wanted to reach out and you to let you know I'm thinking of you.
I hope you do get some quality information and soon - I think the hardest thing to deal with sometimes is not knowing what is going on - for me its the not knowing what is wrong with Dad.

Take care and keep us posted.

G
XXXX

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
To be honest, it's damn near impossible to get accurate information when you're standing there! Actually, the carers might get more info because they are "professionals" - I just wish I had more confidence in the NHS, and that hospital in particular (nice people, insufficient staff). Anyway, anyone who has had a dementia sufferer who has been hospitalized knows how the majority of hospital wards are NOT set up for such patients. I'm not so concerned with the not eating - thousands of years of genetics have combined to prooduce a family who has no fear of famine LOL. However, she can't use a call bell, she will try to get out of bed (even if they put the sides up) and last time she was hospitalized she fell and cracked her head. Oh, and she also lost her dentures, which are in the process of being replaced.

Jennifer

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
jenniferpa said:
I just wish I had more confidence in the NHS, and that hospital in particular (nice people, insufficient staff).
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer. Sorry to hear the situation you're in.... if it helps at all, just to say I have HUGE confidence in the UK NHS - especially when times are 'rough' - yeah, could moan about waiting times for 'routine stuff' etc etc but over recent years when things have appeared 'urgent' or 'critical' for members of my family has always come up with the goods..... (which private healthcare here couldn't)...

My mum's only hospital stay since her 'memory problems' were becoming obvious actually helped - the 'feedback' I got from the ward staff about her behaviour overnight actually helped inform the psycho-geriatrican about how she coped (or rather didn't!!!) outside her usual environment.... fortunately, the nice lady in the next bed decided not to press charges about mum's repeated slanderous claims of her having stolen mum's nightie!!!!! (Hope you manage a smile, x)

Just wanted to send a hug, let you know if there is anything at all that may help - if it's just to know that somone's thinking of you .. and here to vent to anytime you need...

(Oh, and how I recognise that 'Don't be optimistic, you'll only get disappointed' school of thought!!!!!)

Much love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Good news!

I've just had a call to say that contrary to first report, they're not admitting her. They did various tests, and apart from the swelling, there dosn't seem to be any more problems (not ones they can treat anyway) so it's back to the diuretics. She and her care manager are in a taxi coming home as I type, so fingers (and toes) crossed.

Re slanderous claims of theft - last time she was in hospital I'm reasonably certain that the woman in the next bed DID take her dentures, but I didn't tell Mummy until she was home, since that would have opened up an entirely different can of worms.

Thanks all

Jennifer

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I remember from when I was in hospital, "that one has taken my stick", "that one has stolen my bread-and-butter", and nurses trying in vain to get them to refer to each other by name instead of the repeated "that one".