1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Noone

Noone Registered User

Mar 12, 2007
    Surrey
    Hi, I thought it only polite and introduce myself, and explain why Ive joined this forum. Until recently I was leading a very easy, unresponsbile life - having made a decision not to marry, nor have kids, nor a mortgage. But my Dad's long term girlfriend got diagnosed with Alzheimers about 8 years ago (she's only 60 now), and was doing okay until she recently went walkabout one freezing cold night, ended up overnight in a ditch and had a spell in hospital.

She wasnt very well, lucky to be alive...and the social services said she needed overnight care and wouldnt allow her home until it was in place.

So I moved in.

I am in my fifth week now, I had absolutely no idea of what I was letting myself in for...its been tough, I am constantly tired, Im in charge from the moment I wake up in the morning until late at night. But thankfully at 6pm on a Friday evening, my Dad arrives and takes over until Sunday night.

I feel like giving all you relatives of sufferers a massive hug...to go from partner/child/mother/father to carer is a heck of a thing, and you all have my utmost respect.

I consider myself lucky considering I have my weekends free, and although Ive known my 'charge' for over a decade now, I can detach myself from the situation a little with help from my Counselling skills and the fact that I am not directly related.

I also 'feel' for my Dad, I have watched him go grey, I have seen the worry in his face, and both me and my sister are deeply worried for him.

Anyway, I try to make light of the situation, and not dwell on things too deeply, but there will be times I need people who understand to listen to me...

So, thanks for being there, and sorry this intro ended up being an essay!

2. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hello noone,

welcome to TP!
    there is probably no better place.

You say
    only one word is appropriate in response... "Wow"!

You have probably already had a very steep learning curve, and that will continue. Can I point you to the Alzheimer's Society fact sheets as a help? http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/factsheets.htm. Also, please don't forget their Help Line:

The helpline is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.

The number to dial is 0845 300 0336

Searching through TP will also open up a world of experience that should help you.

Very best wishes

3. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london

Sounds like me I had absolutely no idea of what I was letting myself in for, 5 years on and I thinking how do I get of this train now ( my humour :) ) as it does not seem to stop

Welcome to TP

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Total respect Noone for choosing to take responsibility. Not many of us have that choice.
    I hope you get as much from TP as I do. There is a mine of information here and shared experiences add to the support.
    Just reading everyone`s posts lets us see there is no norm with Alzheimers, but we can learn from what`s relevant to ourselves and our individual situations.

5. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Hi Noone, (sorry about that, it reminds me of the western- I wont do it again :D )
    Welcome to TP, there are always lots of views and advice. I read most postings and if I think I can contribute I add. Good luck
    cris

6. Noone

Noone Registered User

Mar 12, 2007
    Surrey
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Mine is only going to be a short stint, as luckily I do have choice.
    Yes it has a been a massive learning curve, and I have been in touch with the Alzheimers group in my area and got the info pack and everything. And hence finding this forum...

Its a bizarre illness, and Im finding it to be really different day to day. Different things crop up and I just think...help!?!

7. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    :confused: Yep, that just about sums it up for many of us.

10/10 for diving into the maelstrom and getting on with it. You're a star and your Dad must be SO proud of you.