Another long night

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Here I am again, mum is up and about been on a loop for last couple of hours wanting to cook lunch, not understanding why sister in bed - sundowning at it's best
She has now got dressed and going through cupboards pulling things out, also doing some washing by hand - something she did for many many years, wouldn't use washing machine.
Got more antibiotics from doc as UTI not cleared up yet, really difficult to get her to take them though. They have to be crushed and I give sprinkled on spoon of juice, followed by more juice but they obviously taste horrible, sometimes she spits them out. Had some flashes of anger and aggression but thankfully it hasn't lasted long....yet.
Sleep deprivation is certainly getting to me now

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Jojop, I don't have any brilliant advice, just sympathy. I'm sorry. I understand the UTIs can be the devil to get cleared up so very smart of you to continue the antibiotics.

You probably know this, but some can be prescribed in a liquid form, which could maybe be easier to disguise and get your mother to take? Couldn't hurt to ask the chemist and/or GP.

Hope you get some sleep.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Hello, also all I can really do is send sympathy, I know what it's like, its a nightmare isn't it! I am up at this time due a cold but now my mam is in an excellent care home I am looking back and dont really know how I coped with endless wakeful and chaotic nights. I hope you are ok and she settles a bit for you all to get some rest. Very best wishes.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Jojop, I don't have any brilliant advice, just sympathy. I'm sorry. I understand the UTIs can be the devil to get cleared up so very smart of you to continue the antibiotics.

You probably know this, but some can be prescribed in a liquid form, which could maybe be easier to disguise and get your mother to take? Couldn't hurt to ask the chemist and/or GP.

Hope you get some sleep.

Hi, thank you. I had forgotten about liquid form antibiotics, definitely worth a try. Mum has now got on top of bed, looking through newspaper. Now she has finally stoped moving around she may sleep I shall leave it half an hour and check and make sure she is covered up warm with blanket.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hello, also all I can really do is send sympathy, I know what it's like, its a nightmare isn't it! I am up at this time due a cold but now my mam is in an excellent care home I am looking back and dont really know how I coped with endless wakeful and chaotic nights. I hope you are ok and she settles a bit for you all to get some rest. Very best wishes.

Hello, thank you Mrs conjugal. I'm hoping she is now settling down fingers crossed. We do cope don't we? It's only when we look back we wonder how we did! Best wishes to you too, hope your cold gets better soon.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Here I am again, mum is up and about been on a loop for last couple of hours wanting to cook lunch, not understanding why sister in bed - sundowning at it's best
She has now got dressed and going through cupboards pulling things out, also doing some washing by hand - something she did for many many years, wouldn't use washing machine.
Got more antibiotics from doc as UTI not cleared up yet, really difficult to get her to take them though. They have to be crushed and I give sprinkled on spoon of juice, followed by more juice but they obviously taste horrible, sometimes she spits them out. Had some flashes of anger and aggression but thankfully it hasn't lasted long....yet.
Sleep deprivation is certainly getting to me now

could you not get antibiotics as a liquid lie they do with children I have to do that with paracetamol now works well and works quicker as liquid. sorry don't have any other advise but I feel for you .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Having the same night time problems at moment, not due to any infections, just one big obsession for my mum and that's her little dog. She has to know where the dog is all the time and sleeping pills are not really helping, only got 4 hours last night. Got to find something to stop all this wandering!!!!

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
I wish there was a magic wand to wave, cast a spell "you will sleep for a minimum of 5 hours tonight and wake rested and relaxed"

Mum dozed for about an hour at 6ish, then continued causing chaos I am really hoping she will sit down and have a sleep she is so tired (as am I) that just increases the risk of a fall.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello . My mum is prone to uti on occasions but gp not keen to give her antibiotics due to renal function . I researched other alternatives and now use DMannose. If you google it , it will let you know it's to maintain good urinary tract . It has worked really well for my mum . It is very pleasant to take ( powder added to water , which is sweet tasting) . It also comes in tablet form if preferred . Another thing I use when my mum is agitated is giving her one paracetamol tablet which works the majority of the time ( there is research to prove it's use in dementia ) . Best wishes .

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
Hello . My mum is prone to uti on occasions but gp not keen to give her antibiotics due to renal function . I researched other alternatives and now use DMannose. If you google it , it will let you know it's to maintain good urinary tract . It has worked really well for my mum . It is very pleasant to take ( powder added to water , which is sweet tasting) . It also comes in tablet form if preferred . Another thing I use when my mum is agitated is giving her one paracetamol tablet which works the majority of the time ( there is research to prove it's use in dementia ) . Best wishes .

Hi, thanks for tip on DMannose, will try and get some in powder form, had a couple of good night's sleep so hopefully antibiotics working, take care