Another Lasting Power of Attorney Question

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
Am I correct in thinking that only a solicitor or notary can certify a copy of an LPA?

i‘ve missed the boat getting hubby to certify copies himself. I won’t make that mistake when I do mine

Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try the legislation instead of the guidance

3 Proof of instruments creating powers of attorney.

(3)
In this section [F5authorised person” means a person (other than a solicitor) who, for the purposes of the Legal Services Act 2007, is an authorised person in relation to any activity which constitutes a notarial activity (within the meaning of that Act) and] “stockbroker” means a member of any stock exchange within the meaning of the M1Stock Transfer Act 1963 or the M2Stock Transfer Act (Northern Ireland) 1963.

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
Where did you find the legislation info please?

The info I found said different people could certify a Power of Attorney but for a Lasting Power of Attorney could only see the two - a solicitor or notary

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Di* To save you the trouble, I have already looked through that legislation and can't see anything with regards to who can certify a copy of an LPA, although if you do have a few hours to spare here is a link to the contents headings rather than the entire legislation to make it a bit easier https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1253/contents/made.

The OPG states that it can be either a solicitor or a notary so best to go with what they say. I found that getting copies from a solicitor wasn't difficult, although worth shopping around as prices can vary.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I did both of dad's LPAs online and it was okay two neighbours were witnesses and one was a certificate provider. My brothers used their adult pupils as witnesses and then I sent them both to the OPG.

They are now about £85 to do online.

MaNaAk

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
@Di* To save you the trouble, I have already looked through that legislation and can't see anything with regards to who can certify a copy of an LPA, although if you do have a few hours to spare here is a link to the contents headings rather than the entire legislation to make it a bit easier https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1253/contents/made.

The OPG states that it can be either a solicitor or a notary so best to go with what they say. I found that getting copies from a solicitor wasn't difficult, although worth shopping around as prices can vary.
Thank you very much. That will save a lot of reading

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
I did both of dad's LPAs online and it was okay two neighbours were witnesses and one was a certificate provider. My brothers used their adult pupils as witnesses and then I sent them both to the OPG.

They are now about £85 to do online.

MaNaAk

thank you. We’ve done all that and registered it. I need a copy now. That’s the problem

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If your on benefits the job centre will print copies.. If they are open.

If you need a copy of the LPA specifically for DWP benefit purposes then the Job Centre will certify one copy for you. This can only be used for DWP related purposes though - it will not be valid for other reasons as it has not been certified by a solicitor or notary.

We got one copy certified at the Job Centre as Mum was receiving benefits and after we notified the DWP that we held financial LPA they requested a certified copy. We later went a bit overboard and got 12 extra copies of the financial LPA certified by a solicitor as we thought that we'd need them when selling mum's house, to contact utility companies etc. However we didn't need them at all as all the changes of address notifications, ending utilities contracts etc could all be done online without needing to produce a copy of the LPA and it was just a case of taking the original LPA to the solicitor conducting the sale and they certified it themselves. At least we will have certified copies to hand if needed at a later date!

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
It’s for a pensions company. I can’t take it personally. So needs posting. So the need for a certified copy

thanks for the heads up about benefits. We aren’t on any. But it could help someone

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unless you have a friend who is a stockbroker a solicitor is likely to be cheapest but get several quotes for this and make sure they understand that they have to sign and date and stamp every page of every copy. I went to one who hadn't done it before and didn't know how much time it would take.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @Di* I was quoted £25 per copy for a solicitor to do certified copies for me last month. Solicitor said he could do them whilst I waited, as it is I haven't got done yet as thought I needed for dad to go into respite care etc but dad has refused however I will at least now know where to go when needed.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Unless you have a friend who is a stockbroker a solicitor is likely to be cheapest

I agree with this.

From the posts over the years it seems that different areas of the country get charged different rates, I got mine certified in my local town, whereas if I'd got them done at a city solicitor near to where I work they would have cost a lot more.

Try phoning round different solicitors within a sensible travelling distance of you.

Also beware that come companies insist on certain wording, I had been correctly certified, and some were accepted and some were returned needing additional wording which I had to go back to the solicitor for.