Another Infection and Incontinence

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I think the answer to that is that the nurse would use a dipstick, which changes colour if there is an infection, but doesn't show what the infection is.

If the stick does change colour, they send a sample to the lab for culture, so that they can get the right antibiotic.

Thanks Hazel, I didn't realise that. But the first test came back negative and we had to wait 4 days to hear that. :confused:

The discharge notes said it was an unknown infection. My guess is that it was the wound from the biopsy, which thankfully has shown nothing sinister.

My Dad is fine now he is home. No incontinence and today he decided, without prompting, to take the dog for a walk. Just as well as after he got home it poured down all day. I should know as I went for a 6 mile walk, as it is only 5 months until my Sahara trek for AS, and I got wet through. :( Not likely to be a problem in the desert. :D

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Sue
Very Well done for sorting out an early discharge for Dad. It does sound that he is getting back into the normal routines etc. The problems of the NHS seem to be vast and insurmountable at times. During Dads admission, I have had to prioritise which things I'm prepared to kick up a fuss about. There's no doubt that staff on medical assessment wards etc are hard-pushed to provide a good standard of care, when there's so few of them.
And yet again another example of dementia care being low down on the list of priorities!
take care
hendy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
My Dad is fine now he is home. No incontinence and today he decided, without prompting, to take the dog for a walk.

That's brilliant, Sue. Let's hope the improvement continues.

love,