Another horrendous evenin

mobton

Oct 6, 2015
Another horrendous evening . Every now and again I see glimpses of him as he was and think we can have a conversation but we can’t and it degenerates into him swearing and cursing me . Apparently now he doesn’t like me at all !!

I need to learn can’t have conversations .

Now refusing to take his drugs and wandering round looking for his pencil echoing turns out to be his kindle

Really starting to struggle to cope .

What can I do ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
so sorry you're having such a time @mobton
if the meds aren't crucial, give it some time before you have another go with them ... or any chance of hiding them in something ....

maybe you could do with some respite ... contact Adult Services to arrange a care needs assessment if you haven't had one

there mighg be an Admiral Nurse in your area to chat with (and a helpline), they are there to support the carer and have knowledge and contacts
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/find-an-admiral-nurse/

sorry I'm not being of much help

keep posting, it helps to get things off your chest

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I feel similar at present.He gets by on so little sleep, wakes me almost every night then is up about six, bumbling about, flushing loo if he remembers then after his cereal, pointless walking about on the landing outside my door.
Last night was horrendous got up three times and had to be taken back to bed,then at 3 in the morning woken by noise followed by massive crash. Chaos, he had knocked over bedside chair then lifted bed dragged it away from wall and dumped it on top of chair, talking about hen in his room did this, Very lucky it wasn't broken, tightened the hex screws as best I could, was not going on hunt for hex keys at that time of night. He did fortunately then sleep till about eight, and I fell back, but half my morning lost.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I mean 'men' in his room, not 'hen'. He's been going on about this today too, these evil men in the house, and very unwilling to accept it was just a horrible night terror.

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
OMG! How do we do it, mine is finally asleep, snoring away like he hasn’t a care in the world, and here I am, wide awake feeling depressed and totally wrung out,! I keep trying to sleep but the thought of waking up tomorrow to face it all again is going round and round in my head. I know that I will get up and I will face it, and I will get through it, it’s just so relentless but chin up girls, maybe tomorrow (or should I say today)will be a good one! :rolleyes: xx

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
I mean 'men' in his room, not 'hen'. He's been going on about this today too, these evil men in the house, and very unwilling to accept it was just a horrible night terror.
That actually made me chuckle, the thought of him chasing a hen around the room!:)(sorry I know I shouldn’t)

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
That actually made me chuckle, the thought of him chasing a hen around the room!:)(sorry I know I shouldn’t)

Yes, you should! It's having a chuckle that can blow away the anguish and tension (ggrrrrr).
Well, ladies, we all seem to be having a sleepless night, it's comforting to know I'm not alone with my worries.

Jilly606

Dec 7, 2017
My mum is going through the exact same with my dad!! And the Knock on to that with us his kids and grandchildren trying to do all we can and having sleepless nights worrying too. Memory clinic were useless to start with but with perseverance they’ve agreed to meet my mum (independently to my dad cos he tells her not to tell anyone anything, he thinks he’s fine ) and take it from there, they’ve finally listened to me and not visit my dad at home as he refuses to let them in thinking Ive reported him and they’ve come to take him away, it’s more a case of getting him to go to clinic under the guise of it’s just the routine review, they can’t do anything unless they see and speak to him, I’ve told them he will say he’s fine, but they say they will take into account everything we tell them he’s doing and how he’s acting, fingers crossed both my parents will get the help and support and I’m going to show my mum this forum to see she is not alone at all and this is the way forward now with dad, bless you all and hope one day you can the peace and rest you deserve xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sleep disturbance on top of the need to have your wits about you during the day. This is what your posts are telling me about your lives @Jilly606, @Dimpsy, @Fishgirl, @Roseleigh, @mobton.

People pay lip service to understanding the strain carers live with day by day, night after night but no one really knows unless they`ve been there. If they did, carers would be better supported.

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
My mum is going through the exact same with my dad!! And the Knock on to that with us his kids and grandchildren trying to do all we can and having sleepless nights worrying too. Memory clinic were useless to start with but with perseverance they’ve agreed to meet my mum (independently to my dad cos he tells her not to tell anyone anything, he thinks he’s fine ) and take it from there, they’ve finally listened to me and not visit my dad at home as he refuses to let them in thinking Ive reported him and they’ve come to take him away, it’s more a case of getting him to go to clinic under the guise of it’s just the routine review, they can’t do anything unless they see and speak to him, I’ve told them he will say he’s fine, but they say they will take into account everything we tell them he’s doing and how he’s acting, fingers crossed both my parents will get the help and support and I’m going to show my mum this forum to see she is not alone at all and this is the way forward now with dad, bless you all and hope one day you can the peace and rest you deserve xx
Hi Jilly606,
Do show your mum this forum , I’ve only been on here a couple of weeks, but it’s helped me so much.Learned a lot of different ways of looking at things and dealing with them, and just knowing that there are lots of people feeling exactly the same way helps,I mean knew that anyway and yet somehow I felt so alone!xx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Sleep disturbance on top of the need to have your wits about you during the day. This is what your posts are telling me about your lives @Jilly606, @Dimpsy, @Fishgirl, @Roseleigh, @mobton.

People pay lip service to understanding the strain carers live with day by day, night after night but no one really knows unless they`ve been there. If they did, carers would be better supported.

You're so right @Grannie G, I'm busy (caring) all day, so it's 'my time', once mum is in bed, except it isn't really as I get up and check on her a couple of times throughout the night and catch up with emails (& now I've discovered TP try and keep up to date with that; I'm surprised by how quickly I feel part of this group, maybe because I know we are all facing the same demon that is dementia) and then there are the always present worries that come to the forefront of my mind once the lights go off - are we doing the right thing by mum, should we be using paid carers, would she be upset if we asked her to stay in respite for a week or two, just so OH and I could have a break.

I can't remember the last time I slept through the whole night, I start the day feeling tired, and do it all over again. The only way I can cope is to turn off my brain and just get on with things.
I don't think about our future, OH and I had such plans for retirement ,but they all went out the window the day mum moved in and we became a threesome.
We don't regret for one moment taking mum in, despite the fact we had little choice in the matter, I just feel so sad for us as a couple. My husband and I listen to our friends and family talking about holidays and outings and feel envious that we have lost the freedom to just go and do our own thing.

I'm so sorry to blurt all this out, my fingers just wouldn't stop writing and what a self-pitying person I sound, but it's how I feel inside and I'm weary. Some days I feel as if I'm the same age as mum, the joy I used to feel about my job, children, grandchildren, hobbies has gone. Our lives now revolve around mum, who, if she was aware would hate it, she was the kindest, gentlest most unselfish person ever, and wouldn't want to feel as if she was a burden, which she isn't ........... but.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm so sorry to blurt all this out, my fingers just wouldn't stop writing and what a self-pitying person I sound, but it's how I feel inside and I'm weary.

This is what Dementia Talking Point is all about @Dimpsy.

It`s a safe place to let go . It`s not self pitying , it`s a safety valve to save you and everyone else from bottling things up inside until they burst.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
should we be using paid carers, would she be upset if we asked her to stay in respite for a week or two, just so OH and I could have a break
I have been down this path and I think you will know when the time comes and you have to have the help and then the respite. I am just embarking on the second spell of respite and it simply is not an easy experience but the advice on TP helped me get through it when the time came.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Thank you @Grannie G and @Grahamstown, I feel as if your arms are around my shoulders, cuddling me, and now look, you've made me cry with your kind words of comfort.

I'm going downstairs to make a cup of tea - and check on mum!
Thank you.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Dimpsy, perhaps as it's you mother not husband you should consider a care home? Would your mum want you to do this if she were compos mentis? Would you want your husband caring for his mother in your home? Men tolerate a lot of this in law care when DILs would not accept it if boot was on the other foot. There are some very good care homes available which may in some ways offer more by way of activities than we do at home. You can be very supportive and even bring your mum home occasionally for a family meal even if she is in a care home.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I actually had an even worse night with him last night, the 'evil' men back, and he was all over the place shouting, aggressive and banging on doors with his fists, being rude to me too, to the point where I was thinking of ringing the local psycho geriactric mini hospital. Just as well I didnt bother as I called his nurse this morning to ask if they can do a proper medication review and he told me there is NO 24hr emergency call out for Alzheimers, all you can do is call the police. :rolleyes:

Anyway as dawn broke I finally managed to settle him, peppermint tea and some cheese bread, and after went back to bed, Think he must have nodded off in chair too as he was quiet for a few hours. LIke a vampire the monster seems to come out in the dark.

He's been generally peaceful today but still unconvinced these evil 'businessmen' are anything less than real, very successful too apparently having a beautiful shop and workshop - he couldnt say what they made;). They were demanding money from him (for doing something to his bed which he thought they, not he, had moved) and he'd offered the magnificant sum of 80K - god forbid!!! Finally having failed to convince him it was a dream I decided instead to go along with this and said I'd call at the shop and explain we don't need them, and that it was all a mistake because OHs got dementia and had got confused. He was thrilled about this and bizarrely remembered and wanted details of how it had gone when got back home! So more lies! o_O At least he seems more relaxed and luckily I managed to find a couple of TV programs which he actually enjoyed this evening so far less pacing about. Hope there is no return tonight.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Finally having failed to convince him it was a dream I decided instead to go along with this and said I'd call at the shop and explain we don't need them, and that it was all a mistake because OHs got dementia and had got confused. He was thrilled about this and bizarrely remembered and wanted details of how it had gone when got back home!

That`s the way to do it. I hope it works next time. :)

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
@Roseleigh - have you mirrors in the bedroom that he might have seen himself in, not recognised it as himself and thought there were men in his bedroom?
No no mirrors. I have seen him on his feet talking to, or sometimes ranting away at these imaginary ppl.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024