Another fall!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John had another fall this afternoon while out with the dog.

He was just round the corner, but out of sight. A neighbour came and alerted me, and by that time someone had already called an ambulance, so we've spent the afternoon at A&E.

He's OK I think, another bump on the head, another black eye, another pair of glasses destroyed!

They checked him over very thoroughly, patched up his grazes, and said he could go home.

What got me was that the doctor told me to keep an eye on him and bring him straight back if he seemed confused.:confused: :confused: :confused:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
What got me was that the doctor told me to keep an eye on him and bring him straight back if he seemed confused.

It is a good job you can keep your sense of humour Hazel.
So sorry about John's fall. It must be so hard for you both, as I know you like, and John needs, to give him his independence.

Thinking of you,

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Sorry to hear this Hazel, so sad. The psychiatrist asked Steve when we went to see him when he was diagnosed (by him) if he'd ever felt dizzy or confused!!!!!! He WAS confused and didn't have a clue. One of the side effects or the Exelon he was on for a short while was confusion too. Maybe I'm not very bright but if they have dementia they ARE confused, tablets can make it worse???

Hope John is ok.

Sue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Hazel,

Now would that be the doctor or John who was confused??

I hope he's OK: these things can shake a person up at the best of times.

Love
Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am sorry to read about John fall , don't know about confused, what they told me last year when mum fall backwards , was to just look out for her being sick and if it was more then 3 time to take her back .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh heck Hazel, just what you didn`t need.:(

Thank goodness for neighbours.

Now I suppose it needs to be established why he fell. Did he feel dizzy or faint or did he trip up. With so little language how do you find out?

I do hope he`ll be OK. Keep us posted.

Take care, love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
So sorry about your afternoon, Skye - not much to add really but just thinking about you (WHOOOOO is confused???????????????).
Hope John is recovering now (I guess you will be feeling the aftermath more than him).
Take care Jan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks everyone. John's still very shaken (so am I). He's complaining about pains in his chest, although he told the doctor that he didn't hurt anywhere. I don't know if it's just bruising, or if he's cracked a rib.

It looks like being a rough night!

PS The neighbours were great, Sylvia. So many of them came out to see if they could help. Fortunately they all know where we live, because of Skye.

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hazel,

Sorry about John's fall but glad to see you were able to see the funny side of the doctor's comment. I have a friend who has been paralysed from the waist down for 20 years. Last year she fell off the loo and broke her leg. In Casualty she was asked 'Does this hurt?' to which she replied 'No, I'm a paraplegic' and then 2 minutes later 'Does this hurt?' 'NO I'M A PARAPLEGIC!!!' and so it went on. :D

I had a complete sense of humour failure this morning. My Dad had his first appointment at the memory clinic but as usual had forgotten about it. He accused my Mum of not telling him and was extremely agitated when I called to pick him up. We managed to get him there (under protest) to be told on arrival that the appointment had been cancelled but the memory clinic had forgotten to tell us. :eek: Just who is confused? We were then told that he didn't need the appointment and they were not sure what was to happen next. I had to wait to speak to someone called G****** who was with a patient and would I wait? Wait I did from 10.45 until 12.50 and I was then told that I didn't need to speak to her but the team manager. He finally appeared at 1.25 p.m. I asked him if he could explain the procedure and he said no not really as he didn't understand it himself:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry, turned in to a bit of a rant. Glad John was not badly hurt.

Sue

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi Hazel,
Just seen your post about John's fall. Sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like your coping admirably - humour is definitely the best option!!! Hope he's feeling better soon - I know it shakes them up, as you know it happened to my dad this last couple of weeks. It's good to know you have good neighbours, cos it really helps.
Snooky x

RussellC

Jul 6, 2006
Skye

Sorry to hear about John's fall. Hope he is better soon so you have less worry.

Best wishes

Russell

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Hazel,
I'm sorry to hear about John's fall and I do hope the chest pain is just bruising - not a broken rib.

Please forgive me, but your post and I have a friend who has been paralysed from the waist down for 20 years. Last year she fell off the loo and broke her leg. In Casualty she was asked 'Does this hurt?' to which she replied 'No, I'm a paraplegic' and then 2 minutes later 'Does this hurt?' 'NO I'M A PARAPLEGIC!!!' and so it went on. from Sue, reminds me of a very funny comedian I heard some years ago.

He was one of the generation whose mothers took a certain anti-nausea tablet for morning sickness which proved to have disastrous results for unborn children. (Not sure if I am allowed to mention the name, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)

He did a marvellously funny routine about how "officialdom" could never cope with the fact that he had no arms. I specifically remember him saying he had to sign a special form admitting to having no arms before being allowed to board an aircraft. He said: (something like this):

"I presume I had to sign in case, if I fell 20,000 feet from the aircraft and survived, I might sue. As in: I had arms when I boarded your aircraft!!"

Of course he was much funnier than I can report it, but it was a classic example of "officialdom" gone mad when it comes to illness and disability.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Hazel, just caught up with your news. So sorry about John's fall. Thank goodness for the kind neighbours. Silly doctor. Where do they get them from? Hope you have a better day tomorrow and a peaceful night tonight, Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for the messages, folks, it's lovely that people care.

We had a very rough night, John was in a lot of pain from his ribs, and couldn't get comfortable. I took him back to A&E this morning.

It was very quiet when we got there, and we were seen straight away. (Seemed too good to be true!) Then the waiting started. Wait for doc..... wait for x-ray......wait for doc again. John was very impatient......and said so at frequent intervals!

Anyway, no serious injury, thank goodness, just bruised ribs. very painful though!:(

Now I could do with some sleep!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Hazel,

I`m glad nothing`s broken, but the pain will still be bad. I hope John has good healing qualities.

Love xx