Another fall

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother is back at hospital following another fall :( According to her carer, one doctor thinks her hip may be broken, one doesn't so it's being referred up the line. Hopefully not - although she couldn't straighten her leg this morning, as the day has progressed she has regained more movement. It seems that when she fell she was lying on it for some time, and since she has quite bad arthritis in her hips (well everywhere really) it's quite possible it seized up. It may not be necessary to keep her in - I hope not, since when you're in the system, it takes forever to get out. On the plus side, however, it does not sound from what I have found out that they did an adequate assessment before she was discharged last time, so perhaps it will be taken more seriously this time. Part of the problem is that no matter how many times I and her carers tell them, they do not seem to grasp the fact that she is essentially living on her own. Yes there are carers in every day (all day it seems like), but she is not in the nursing home. They see the address and think "oh, nursing home, has 24 hours support" but it's not like that.

Jennifer

Jann

May 24, 2006
tingewick, bucks.
jenniferpa said:
Part of the problem is that no matter how many times I and her carers tell them, they do not seem to grasp the fact that she is essentially living on her own. Yes there are carers in every day (all day it seems like), but she is not in the nursing home. They see the address and think "oh, nursing home, has 24 hours support" but it's not like that.

Jennifer

I'm so sorry to hear your mother has had a fall, Jennifer. I hope they manage this time to ensure she is discharged only when she is fully recovered, though I also understand you wanting her to be back home as soon as possible. I also hope they can make a decision on whether she has broken her hip or not.

Yes, sadly there is no such thing as 24 hours support with social services - well, not in the Isle of Man anyway. Though we are lucky in that Dad cares for Mum 24/7 but even with all that he does, he can't keep his eye on her every single minute of the day.

She is in hospital once again after having another fall last night. She broke her ulna and passed out as a result of banging her head on the door as she fell. And all this because Dad quickly nipped off to the loo which was enough time for her to have her fall. It just demonstrates that even full time care isn't invincible.

Thinking of you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As you say: even if she were watched 24/7 there are always possible dangers. Unfortunately, since she can't make new memories, she forgets what she can and cannot do, so it's hopeless expecting her to stay in one place.

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Update: Not a hip fracture, thank goodness. They are, however, keeping her in for "rehabilitation" - we'll have to see what that means.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Jennifer, Whatever it means, at least she`ll be getting 24 hour care in hospital. A bit of breathing space for you, perhaps.
Love Sylvia x

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
24 hour care in hospital? Are you sure? Not in any of the hospitals I've been in as patient or as visitor.

Hope it's a good one.

Lila

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jennifer

Sorry to hear that your mum has had another fall, but it's good news that she hasn't broken her hip.

Are you still coming over this week?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Dear, Lila, You must have had some dreadful experiences.

I have to say, in defence of the NHS, I`ve had excellent treatment in hospitals. I`ve had quite a few surgical procedures and a couple of medical ones, and have had nothing but praise for my treatment.

As for treatment of the elderly and infirm, experiences with my grandmother, my mother, my neighbour and now, my husband, have all been positive, except for one.

It`s not the NHS I have a problem with. It is a service, and at the risk of being shouted down, it`s a service I`ve only had praise for. This is my personal experience. I sympathize with those who found different.

My bad experiences have been with a couple of, so called Nursing Homes. To put it politely, these were found wanting. They weren`t services, they were money making businesses.

The NHS has suffered sadly, because politicians, of all denominations, have made a mess of it. But the majority of the people who work in the NHS, the ones in direct contact with patients, are in my humble opinion, of very high calibre.

Sylvia

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I have to agree with Sylvia. I've had a series of excellent GPs in the course of my life, and any problems with any of my family have been promptly and effectively dealt with.

I've had in-patient hospital experience both in Lincolnshire and here in Scotland, and have been treated with skill and courtesy.

Perhaps I've been lucky, and I've heard lots of horror stories, but I think it's important to show the other side of the coin.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Of course there are some very good doctors and nurses and other NHS staff in hospitals too, but as we've seen from other threads in here the bad experiences haven't been unique.

Lila

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Jennifer, really sorry to hear about your mum's ups and downs. Hospital isn't a great place to be, but there is at least 24 hour cover, if not necessarily 24 hour care. Have you been in touch with the PALS person again? Seem to recall that you had some peace of mind after dealing with them earlier. I know you want your mum out asap, but it's better to get the services agreed and in place before that happens, and if it takes a few days longer, then that is not a bad price to pay, even with possible muddles/mistakes on the ward. Really hope you are bearing up. You'll be over pretty soon now, won't you? Take care, and try not to worry too much.

If they are genuinely going to try to give her 'rehab' that may be good, even if you don't think she will retain what they help her with. At least they are trying to think creatively. Fingers crossed!

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Jennifer
I'm so sorry to hear your mum has had another fall.......yet another set back! its good to hear she hasn't broken her hip though.
I expect you can't wait to get over here to see her!!!
Just want to say I'm thinking about you and sending you a big hug
love wendy x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh dear. Mummy is now waiting for another x-ray - someone, somewhere is considering the possibility that the first X-ray did not show a possible fracture (that's about as definitive as I can get). One of her carers visited her this morning, and mummy is exceptionally drowsy, probably due to the heavy duty pain killers she's on. She is also saying that she has vomited, although the nursing staff say not - she's obviously nauseated and she told the carer she'd had a stroke. It doesn't look as if she's had another one, so I think the opiates must be making her think she's back at the hospital when she first had her strokes. She didn't at first recognise Michelle (the carer) and the whole thing has got me quite worried (an understatement). Roll on Friday.

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I found that after my mother had a fall , she was being sick a lot and feeling very drowsy , make sure when you ring that they are giving her plenty of water as when she feeling drowsy she may be forgetting to drink water .

They done load of tests to find out why she was so drowsy being sick , they could not find anything , only saying that she was dehydrated after doing a urin test , and being sick does make you feel dehydrated anyway , it took good 2 weeks after the fall , to get back to her normal self, not looking so drowsy . I think could of been the shock of the fall makeing my mother feeling sick drowsy .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet