Another fall - and she looks as if someone's beaten her up.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Late the other night, so we didn't get the message till the morning. Again wandering at night - luckily a carer in a nearby room heard the 'bang'. We were met at the CH door by a carer who said we would get a terrible shock. But it wasn't really, since she looked equally terrible after the last bad fall (that really WAS a shock) - almost her entire face livid dark purple and red again. But she was in bed this time, and looking so frail and pathetic.

Yet when I asked if she'd like a drink the answer was a very clear, 'NO!' (apparently she'd just had a lot of the favourite pineapple juice) They think she might have broken her nose, but wouldn't keep still at A&E for an X ray. But she says she isn't in any pain, though they are giving her painkillers anyway.

Oh, dear :(

The CH is very good, but there's no way they can stop her wandering- not unless they tie her to chair or bed - and she's so wobbly nowadays, and simply can't remember to use a frame.
I'll go in again later with some chocolate...

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Oh dear oh dear. I am so sorry. She seems to have more spirit that anything else. I'm sure you wish her get-up-and-go was a little more sit-down-and-stay. Can she be supervised more? I know it is a drain on human time and energy - but that was the way in my mother's home.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Aw this must be so worrying for you, I hope she enjoys the chocolate and has recovered from her fall soon,

Hugs from Jeany x

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Oh dear Witzend, how horrible for you. Facial bruises are by far the most distressing to see aren't they? I am sure that everyone is doing their best to make your mum as comfortable as possible. It's going to be hot today - maybe mum would like some ice cream when you go in later?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It can't be helped, Mum was falling up to three times a week at one point, that stage seems to have passed in favour of massive temper tantrums. I am so sorry for you and your poor mum.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Oh dear, that geriatric bruising is so alarming isn't it!

I once saw a friend's mother after she was hit on the head by a falling plate from her cupboard, looked appauling.

What a worry for you. Hope you have a good visit when you go. :)

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Witzend

Really sorry to hear about your mum's accident, it's always upsetting to hear when a fall takes place at the CH. As you say sometimes they really are unpreventable. We've also had a couple of similar incidents with dad's face black and blue afterwards and I dread these days that he'll get up from his chair without someone spotting as the risk of him toppling is high. The only words of consolation i can offer are that the bruises do fade relatively quickly. If she has broken her nose I hope there's some treatment they can offer. All the very best and hope she's up from her bed soon.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm so sorry. My mam's had a couple of falls that have made her look like she's been beaten up, and it's truly horrible to see. After the first one she asked my dad in a very small voice "Am I ugly, now?" and it broke my heart. Fortunately each time she has healed very well, with no lasting evidence. I do feel for you, these things seem to emphasise their frailty, don't they?

bidofnarm

Aug 1, 2013
Equipment

Has the home got any equipment in place so they know when she starts walking around like a bed or door sensor?

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi. I know just how you feel. Dad was a wanderer when he first went in to the nh. He would use walking sticks for anything but walking. Fell regularly. Always his face got it even before the home.no broken bones Ever.. Weird thing was dad never felt any pain.
They tried allsorts to get him to sit...when he finally became less mobile. We missed the wandering
We just had to make sure there was nothing causing his falls. Ie slobbing slippers too long trousers etc.
Sorry this is not much help just thought i would let you know you are not alone
Gill

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Yes you are most definitely not alone. Our Mum is always falling over, falling backwards, you name it we managed to fall and hurt our-self big time. Most of the time it is just bruised pride and bruised bottom but once or twice we have ended up in A & E for stitches in the face and once for a suspected broken hand. As you say they will not sit still, they are like small children. We did suggest to the home that may be a Zimmer frame would help but were told with their experience sometimes they can be more harm than good, as instead of toppling backwards as she does mostly, they can go a... over tip front wards and that is worse. She would not use a walking stick and if did would forget to use it. Really it must be a nightmare to keep an eye on residents at times. You need eyes in the back of your head.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Thanks so much everybody for kind words. Bruising had gone down a fraction yesterday but she still looks terrible. Did eat a couple of squares of chocolate, though!

I don't think sensors etc. would really help, since although she's so wobbly she does still 'need' to wander and if they tried to stop her she'd just get very upset/stroppy - she can still be awkward anyway. As for watching, there is a man who doesn't really wander, just keeps getting up and down and he fell and broke his arm recently, right under the staff's noses in the main area. You'd honestly have to watch them all every single second.
While I was sitting there yesterday there were 2 staff on duty for just 9 of them - one was helping someone to drink and the other was taking off someone else who'd had an 'accident' - it's so easy to see how these things can happen.

Using OH's computer, since guess what, I'm such a twit - took my computer into the garden the other day, got distracted by a phone call, left it out there - and it started raining! Heavily! And now of course it's completely b*ggered - despite being left to dry out for ages.

There's always bl**dy something, isn't there? But after tragedies among friends and relatives lately, I am trying to keep it in perspective. A mere pinprick after all.

Cheers, all. :)

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I was advised to smother a phone with rice (I'd put it in the washing machine), it didn't work but others say it does.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Witzend - according to my old sage of a hubby - that'll dry out eventually just leave it be for a while. Ever the optimist he is. So dont give up on it yet.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Witzend - according to my old sage of a hubby - that'll dry out eventually just leave it be for a while. Ever the optimist he is. So dont give up on it yet.

Thanks, folks. Fingers Xed. I left if upside down overnight to 'drain' on a towel, and then for over another 24 hours. It's switching on OK, but the keyboard is still b*ggered. Most of the keys + backspace not working, so I can't input anything. Will give it another day or two, but I'm not too hopeful.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Thanks, folks. Fingers Xed. I left if upside down overnight to 'drain' on a towel, and then for over another 24 hours. It's switching on OK, but the keyboard is still b*ggered. Most of the keys + backspace not working, so I can't input anything. Will give it another day or two, but I'm not too hopeful.

My daughter poured Coke in one of our laptops years ago - the best place to put it is in the airing cupboard (if you have one) - gentle heat, with the battery removed and it upside down with a towel under the keyboard to absorb and moisture that comes out.

Ours surprisingly made a complete recovery which took a few days and it was VERY sticky but we cleaned it all off with baby wipes!

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012

Try plugging in a keyboard with a usb, see if it will work from that.