Another failed discharge.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Those of you have followed my partner's woes over recent weeks and kindly offered support will know she has been in hospital for 8 or 9 days due to a horrendous skin complaint. I took her home yesterday. She was complaining of a sore hip, but I got her on the wheelchair and in and out of the car, so put it down to stiffness. This morning she slipped out of bed when the care worker came to get her washed and dressed. We caught her on a low stool, but M phoned the ambulance to be on the safe side.
The paramedic after a good examination decided she needs to go into hospital again for proper treatment and to force a decision on increased care. The second care worker who came said she had called the care manager in the meantime and she agreed. A neighbour told me his late wife had 4 calls a day with two care workers, so it should be possible to make that happen without moving C, but everything has to be on the table for a proper discussion.
I'm going in later and the paramedic told me to wave the POA documents at everyone who asks to make sure I'm heard. Thanks again for reading and all the best to you all.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
oh no, seems cruel to go home only to be re-admitted. hope that they do step up the help and that C comes home long term soon and until then, enjoy some rest and try not to worry too much

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is the question I need to ask the physios when she is on a ward, thanks @Grannie G. The physio I spoke to on Tuesday had suggested C needed a few more days, but it was up to the doctors. She will need some physiotherapy at least before they can send her home a second time. It's all just what I told the doctor on Monday that I feared would happen and it did, just like 8 years ago.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Sorry to read this @nae sporran my dad had four carer visits per day but only one carer per visit. I hope your wife will get a bit more consideration before hospital discharge her again and that you get the home support you need. Take Care ?crossed for you both.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So sorry that C is back in hospital. I hope you can get some answers as to what she needs soon, and that it is all put in place pronto.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
This reminds me of what I went through with my dad Rob. Make sure you’re satisfied with whatever’s in place before you have her home again (((hugs)))

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When John reached the stage of frequent hospital visits a nurse suggested she scan my POA onto his notes. I took them in and she went off and did the job while he was being attended. I checked they were all correct when they came back. It saved a lot of bother.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
This reminds me of what I went through with my dad Rob. Make sure you’re satisfied with whatever’s in place before you have her home again (((hugs)))
Thanks Bunpoots, I did emphasis what I thought was needed to the doctor, but will do the same with physios and OTs on Monday.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
When John reached the stage of frequent hospital visits a nurse suggested she scan my POA onto his notes. I took them in and she went off and did the job while he was being attended. I checked they were all correct when they came back. It saved a lot of bother.
Thanks Marion, I will do that once C is on a ward.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks everyone I missed out replying to. C is in the ED Majors ward waiting for a move to a proper ward in the morning. The doc is going to prescribe laxatives, test for a UTI and recommend physio to get her hip moving again. I did tell him how hard it is to look after her when she is in so much pain, but that is something I'll have to repeat a few times on Monday and probably for the rest of the week.
That hospital has a carers liaison officer who works with the carers support centre and takes part in hospital management meetings. I've met her before and have her number to call on Monday.
For someone in so much pain and who is confused about who I am C still made sure I was ok and she told me when to go home as I was obviously tired. I hear and read so much about people with dementia becoming a bit selfish or no longer being the person you know. It's so lovely that whatever happens and however muddled she gets, C is still the lovely wee wumman I met 15 years ago.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Helen, I phoned and she is on a ward where they say she is comfortable. I got a decent sleep, Match of the Day relaxed me nicely.
It is now going to be a hard couple of days as I can't visit until 7 tonight and was told that by an abrupt nurse. Tomorrow I need to speak to PALS and carers liaison to find out what is happening and what can be done to make sure she is properly treated and not just left doped up on morphine. That is not healthy even without the dementia. I have asked PALS what I can do to get POA on the hospital records. I'll have to ask the ward clerk again tomorrow. C's daughter is upset and worried as her father died in that hospital and she thinks it was a mistake by a tired doctor who gave him too much of the wrong meds.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77