Another drama

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Now I have a degree in dramatic arts and always steer towards the dramatic but my mil could win an Oscar.

Over the past month we have had 9 visits from the paramedics after she's called 999 on many occasions with various illnesses. This weekend has taken the biscuit and she has had them out 4 times since Friday as well as a visit to the GP. She says everyone has got it wrong and she's dying. She's got a mild tummy bug (like we've all had).

About an hour ago my husband received a phone call to say she's in our local hospital as she was demanding more tests. None of us have gone up there as we all have plans that cannot be changed. Her sons have said she'll have to get a taxi back.

How do I stop her calling the paramedics for every ache and pain? I'm at my whits end and due to go away with work in about an hr.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry about this when you are just about to go away, this must sound awful but none of you are responsible for what your MIL does, there must be plenty of people with no relatives who do this, If I where you every time she does this I would leave the hospital or the SW to arrange her return home,

I don't know if this would deter her from phoning them next time as she might forget,

Go away and leave it to someone else to sort out for a change and try not to worry I hope it goes well,

Best wishes Jeany xx

AndreaP

Aug 19, 2015
Adelaide South Australia
My mother made me call an ambulance once when she was having a panic attack. I told them what it was and that she was insisting I call and they sent out a first responder in a car who told her she didn't need an ambulance and saved a trip to hospital.

Perhaps if you contact the ambulance service and explain the problem they can do this for your mil? My son is a paramedic and 95% of their calls aren't medical emergencies so I think they're well used to it.

Who is paying for these call outs? They cost about $800 a call out in Australia.

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I know it's a waste of tax payers money. Poor people over here are having cancer drugs stopped due to lack of funding.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Wolf in Sheep's clothing....

Whilst you could ring the Ambulance service and ask them to query what she needs, they have a duty of care to respond and one day it might really be a wolf!!
We lost count of the times we had the 999 shift out to Mum, She would have faints due to her BP dropping and, whoever was with her, ( except me:eek::rolleyes:) would phone them up; out they'd come and one visit to A&E later...back home she'd arrive, none the worse for her adventure.

Like I say, one time she needs help, it might just be the one time she actually does need help.

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
She managed to get herself back from the hospital (although it take her 4hrs) by bus and taxi. Today she is saying she needs an operation she is so bad and has forgotten even going to hospital yesterday.

I'm going to ring social services to see what they can do

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
My auntie did this type of thing, so the GP arranged for her to go to the day centre weekly as he thought it was loneliness and just for attention. Seems he was right as it's been two years since we have had any drama. Hope this helps.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I'm not sure it's loneliness and attention; I feel it's more that being elsewhere diverts their attention and breaks the loop of endless 999 calls.

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Good idea! I'll try but can't get her out of the house (other than in an ambulance).

I took her to local group a few months ago and she said it was full of old biddies not really her type of people. She's a nightmare and has no friend left as all her friends are working and don't really have anything in common with her. It's so sad as she should be working too and going for dinner and a glass of wine with friends like other women her age.

I agree though she does need distracting as I've had 8 text messages already today with pretty much the same info on them.