1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Annual Increase in fees at Care Home

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by father ted, Feb 1, 2019.

1. father ted

father ted Registered User

Aug 16, 2010
    London
    I am sure I have seen posts on here about fees increase but can't find it. My Mum is in care home that she and I are happy with. I have received a letter about an annual fee increase of 3.5%. Is this general for most parts of the country?

2. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    I am in Scotland, my late husband was in a care/nursing home the last five years of his life, he died in June 2016. His care home fee did increase every year. I don't know about the rest of the UK but others will be better informed.

3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    I'd say 3.5% increase was a bargain, people on here have posted about 25% increases.
    To be fair to the homes employment legislation is adding massively to their costs, whilst giving more and better rights to employees is no doubt a good thing staffing costs are a major part of any home's costs and inevitably these are passed on to the customer.
    K

4. scattysue

scattysue Registered User

Aug 20, 2015
    I read this thread with interest and a bit of concern. My sister went into residential/nursing care in late September 2018 - her care is LA funded and she has to pay an amount which was decided on by means of a financial assessment.
    Two questions:
    1. If (or perhaps I should say when) the fees for her care go up will her contribution change or will that remain the same as it is based on her ability to pay?
    2. Will the LA continue to fund the care with the increased cost or might they refuse funding?

Thanks for any information

5. Toony Oony

Toony Oony Registered User

Jun 21, 2016
    4.8% rise this year

6. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    When dad was in his NH...Kent...annual increases of around 8/9% unfortunately

7. Moggymad

Moggymad Registered User

May 12, 2017
    Female

My mum is LA funded. We have never been informed that the care home fees have increased although I'm sure they must have over the 18 mths mum has been there. However mums contribution has increased, although not greatly, during this time due to financial reassessment which seems to be annually.
    I too wonder if our LA continues to pay the same rate. I have no idea what will happen if there is a big shortfall. Perhaps a topup would be requested by care home.

8. scattysue

scattysue Registered User

Aug 20, 2015
    Thanks @Moggymad I think I will ask directly at the care home.