Annual carers payment?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
This is something the social worker mentioned today. We need to fill out a form with my mum to see if she will be entitled to an annual payment. She is the full time carer for my Dad. I have never heard of this before. We are getting together to fill out this form later this week. Any ideas of what key words should be used?
My mum deserves an absolute medal let alone a payment. 85 years old she has given her life for others the entire time, even when it came to retirement, she only did a couple of nice holidays before things happened so she could no longer go (nothing to do with her). Then my dad was diagnosed 13 years ago and has very slowly progressed to where we are now.
Lots of things put forward today, carers are going to be increased and she has agreed to look at day care... just look for now mind, if she sees that it is progressive then she may well feel better about him going.
Feeling hopeful today.:)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi susy :)

In our area, carers grants are available annually following completion of a carers assessment. Because it's a 'grant' and not an 'entitlement' in the legal sense, the amount varies according to the budget available to the local authority. Typically it might be around £300 to £400 but the social worker will know the position in your area.

Around here it's called a 'Life of your Own' grant and it's supposed to be spent on something to improve the carer's quality of life. For example, it might be granted for garden furniture, to pay a gardener or cleaner, for massage or alternative health treatments ....even hairdo's or meals out :D You can also spend it on a week or weekend away.

Definitely worth doing. From what you say about your mum, she will really just have to say what she does for your dad, and how this affects her. She should emphasise why she needs a break, for example, getting tired, not being able to get out and about. She should definitely not hold back on the stresses and strains of caring!

Hope it works out well :)

Lindy xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think it's a little different in each borough. I used to be able to get a one-off direct payment of £300 every year, now it's been reduced to £150 every two years unless you use it for white goods - that's still worth £300. As we rent I don't need to buy washing machines so I used my last one towards a holiday. You have to specify what you are using it for and provide a receipt.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Beate, I agree it varies according to area. I also wonder what effect the 'new' Care Act may have on it. The format of the carers assessment has changed since last year in our county and I think it's to make it easier to set specific eligibility criteria foe carers......I could be wrong, of course ;)

In any case, I'd say if it's still on offer in a given area, carers should apply while they can! :cool:

Lindy x

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Thank you so much for your replies.

What the SW said was that is was for the carer as you say, as their way of saying thank you. The amount varies from about £150-£300. She did mention a gardener. So bottom line, it's being brutally honest on the form. Well that's ok, both myself and my sister are going to help her with the form so we can ensure it is at least honest.
Thank you all once again.