Anniversary

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
Hi everyone. My hubby (who is now in a NH) and I celebrated (or didn,t ) our 55th Wedding anniversary on 4th April. I tried to make it a special day and had a cake done which we shared with the staff, and I took our wedding album in hoping he would remember that far back. It was so sad as he didn,t even recognise himself as a young man, or in fact any of the family on the group photos. I thought that people with this terrible illness whilst not remembering short term, could go back to the past. Obviously not. We had a good day, but a very sad one. I really do miss all the nice occasions ,like Xmas, Easter, birthdays etc.,etc., My family are very good but don't replace your partner in life. I still come home to an empty house and feel quite lonely at times. Oh my, aren,t I pathectic.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
NO you are not pathetic - you are a loving wife. I was surprised a few weeks ago when looking at old photos with Mum which included wedding photos (she was widowed 6 years ago after being very happily married for 54 years). She pointed to my Dad in a group photo and asked who he was. I explained, she calmly accepted the explanation (but didn't really seem to grasp that Dad was a major part of the wedding!) and moved on to the next photos. But since then, there are days that she remembers him and even repeated a detail about the honeymoon trip. Perhaps try the album again on another day, if he has clearer days?

Continue to treasure your happy memories of the past. I'm so sorry your hubby seemed unable to share fully in the celebration but I hope that somehow he sensed enjoyment of a special day. Hope you were able to give him a big hug.

So sorry to hear you feel lonely - but that's what TP is for, no matter how empty the house feels without your hubby. Take care - and belated anniversary wishes.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I have made several birthday party to mom, even tough mom has no idea what was going on.

Pros: residents like party; staff and residents love party food; invisibles visit mom.
Cons: planing a party with residents with some food restrictions; paying for it;

Other residents have their parties on relatives home,

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Definitely not pathetic. These kind of special days matter to us all and used to matter to you both. You are entitled to feel as you do. I just hope you have managed to feel a bit better. We can only offer understanding and empathy. Hope it helps x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Certainly not pathetic. I agree that these days used to be important to both of us, I know they're still important to me.