Anniversaries

CCM2013

Feb 7, 2013
London
To my dear TP friends. My dads birthday is Dec 8th. He would've been 70. I was wondering how others have marked special dates like these. I want to spend the day with my family as it will be a difficult and emotional day, but not sure quite what to do. Dad was cremated & his ashes scattered in woodland. So there is no gravesite as such.
Any ideas gratefully received!
Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Remembering

Hi there, I don't have any direct experience of this yet, but think it is lovely that you want to get together to remember your Dad. I have a friend who lost his wife and he and his sons get together on her birthday and visit a place that she loved and go for lunch and share memories of her. Perhaps you could do something similar?

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
It's just over a year since I lost my Dad, so I can understand how you feel. His birthday is in December too, though he always hated anyone making a fuss about it and we haven't planned anything special.

It sounds like your Dad enjoyed nature, so perhaps you could plant a small tree or shrub in your garden (if you have one). I think it's the right time of year for planting things.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
It's just over a year since I lost my Dad, so I can understand how you feel. His birthday is in December too, though he always hated anyone making a fuss about it and we haven't planned anything special.

It sounds like your Dad enjoyed nature, so perhaps you could plant a small tree or shrub in your garden (if you have one). I think it's the right time of year for planting things.

My husband's birthday was on Christmas Day, and he died 2 days before, last year. I've helped to sponsor the floodlighting at my local church for the month of December, and I have planted a shrub (Campsis) for him.

I have an entry in the Book of Remembrance for our Wedding Anniversary, and I planted a rose in the garden, after his ashes were committed. On the anniversary of his death, I am going with a friend to see Sheridan Smith in Funny Girl - this was the only day I could get tickets for, so I think it was meant to be.

I'll be on my own on Christmas Day, remembering his birthday, and will drink a toast to him. I'm a sentimentalist, and have kept all the cards we've sent each other, and I sorted these into different folders, so I'll have nearly 50 Christmas cards from him to read through.

We've just all got to get through these days as best as we can, and I hope others succeed.

CCM2013

Feb 7, 2013
London
Thankyou for your replies. They were helpful. In the end I bought some white roses and put them by his tree in the woods. We lit a lovely Jo Malone candle that my dad had bought my mum a year or two ago and my sister made some brandy butter which was a Christmas tradition that she used to do with my dad on his birthday. We had a glass of prosecco and toasted what would've been dads 70th birthday. So I think it was ok -,still sad and miss him every day, but got through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point