ankle are really swollen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am not worried about this as it only seem to happen when mum go in to respite but it make me wonder why ?

When mum get back from respite mum ankle are really swollen this time really bad have never seen them so big like that .
I gave mum a bottle of water to drink as I thought it may be because of fluid retention . Mum got home on Friday and now they have gone down but it never happen when mum is living with me that her ankle get so swollen

Last edited:

willemm

Sep 20, 2006
It may just be coincidence but I have to admit that the same thing happened to my wife when in respite. However, I know the reason why, it was because at home I always put her to bed with a pillow under her feet (at calf or ankle level), whereas in respite they didn't. However, after a few days back home from respite, my wife's swollen feet did go down.
You may be also interested to know that for a number of years her legs and ankles were quite puffy, and feet too big to get shoes for, even with size 8 EEEE fit. She had been taking Frusemide tablets for the water retention that was the cause, but I began giving her a 1 gram (1000mg) capsule of cod liver oil a day. This had the remarkable effect after a few months of her not needing the Frusemide tablets because her legs and feet gradually became normal and her shoes fitted on with no trouble.
In case you are not aware, cod liver oil is, on authority, said to be good for circulation, especially to the remote parts of the body, which means it should also benefit hands, fingers (if they tend to feel the cold), and also the brain. I make no promises here of course.

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
HI MARGARITA

just wanted to say the next time your mum goes in respite see if she can have one of them chairs that are designed for your legs to rest on when sat up. It might of been just one of them things but if worried just ask.

kathy.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Does she perhaps move around less when she's in respite (I seem to remember you have stairs?) That can make for increased swelling.

Jennifer

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi margarita,

my mum also has very swollen feet, theve told us its becouse of the lack of movement, in hospital she tends to sit down all day and get taken to the toilet in a wheelchair, however once she's home and mobile for a few days the swelling does go down, ive now got her slippers and shoes which have velcro fastenings to accomodate the swelling when she's in hospital.

take care x

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Swollen feet

Hi interested to see this thread, as my Mum has suffered from this for a long time. The degree of puffiness varies considerably, but never quite goes away. And medical opinion has always linked this fairly closely to blood pressure and circulation (she has a history of vascular problems, and this is seen as one of the symptoms) - has she had her blood pressure monitored recently?

As others have said, resting with her feet raised is also generally a good idea, and also massaging the feet (just use a plain emollient cream - Mum seems to enjoy this, as it's rather pampering).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi Dave long time no see on TP :) :)

Nice to see you , to see you nice lol as that is what mum told someone when they said nice to see you to my mother :eek: :) .

Think that was from Tommy cooper .

My mum hates me touching her feet, because she has diabetic so is scared of getting an infection, I would cut her toenails she will not let me.

I feel its very therapeutic massaging feet and toes. My daughter loves me massaging there feet, but mum not having it lol. I have it done to me in the past it is lovely so relaxing .something to do with unblocking massaging nerves in the sole of the feet travelling up to the brain relishing feel good feeling. I may not have explained to right so it is something alone those lines. One of my daughter is taking beauty therapy at collage pedicure I think its called

Anyway ( lol :eek: I do go on :eek: ) yes its to do with lack of moment, circulation doctor told me when I had an appointment for me to see him , that’s why its good that mum go to day centre 3 days a week Its amazing how mum feel ankle, has gone down back to normal .

Mum said that the manger keep asking mum to go out in the garden , but she did not want to go on her own, mum put it down to that she was not allowed to lay down in bed during the day, had to sit in chair all day till bed time .where at home with me mum lays in bed when she wants, gets up sit in chair when she wants.

My mother also told me that there was another woman that did not want to walk a lot as her legs where really swollen up to her knees. The manger keep kicking her on the legs to get up to walk , now I take this very light hearted ,may be he was lightly taping her on the leg with his foot . I said this to mum, mum said yes but I still did not like him doing that to the lady. Does make you wonder?? its only a small care home 2 houses knock in to one about 20 people in all, I not sure to tell social worker, but I am sure not letting mum go there on next respite . Who knows what go on behind close doors, also it be mum words angina his. I can tell you my mother has never complained about any other respite home she been in. It has been in the back of my mind for a while, so hope you all do not mind me sharing it with you all.

When mum go to next respite how ,what am I going to say to social worker if she says mum has to go to that respite . as I do not want to to go there anymore :confused:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
If there's a choice of places tell the social worker and tell her why.

Will your mother remember enough to tell the social worker about the manager kicking the other woman?

Lila

Margarita said:
When mum go to next respite how ,what am I going to say to social worker if she says mum has to go to that respite . as I do not want to to go there anymore :confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What Lila said, and, if you don't want to get into the manager kicking the other woman, simply say that your mother need to be somewhere where she can lay down whenever she wants. This whole thing smacks of the 50's boarding house concept - no access to your room during the day. I understand that this makes it slightly unmanageable for the home, but they need to remember that they are service providers - the clients needs must come first.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
[

Just that I was brought up feeling so humble, in any thing I got that I did not pay for, if that the way of expresses it. I have always paid my way in life.

That now I am what they call funded, I feel so grateful for any outside help that they can offer me that I do like to complain.

You know what; my mother can remember I ask her angina about it last night as my mother is on good medication. she not at that stage that she does not know has happen in the past , only in her hear and now , but then in the future she remember, still retains her past hear and now , but never in the given moment that it happens if you get what I mean.

I get worried how they stereotype people with AZ with retaining past memories of past mouths gone buy , so do not want to confuse her if she was ask about it , from someone in social services who is not skilled in dealing with someone with AZ .

So thank-you both Thanks Lila13 , jenniferpa , shall write that down in my note book

QUOTE]that they are service providers - the clients needs must come first[/QUOTE]

simply say that your mother need to be somewhere where she can lay
down whenever she wants[/QUOTE

BrucieYes Bruce Forsyth :) My mother , father loved his shows.

Last edited: