anger and refusing,,,,what can i do please help

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by caring a, Feb 22, 2016.

1. caring a

caring a Registered User

Mar 1, 2014
    hi all..
    mum resently has got rather more confused resulting in her becomeing more angry and bitter,,,when carers came yesterday she was nasty with them and refused to be hoisted to toilet,,,eventually she aggreed and was ok,,,,but what happens if it gets worse and she refuses to be hoisted,,,they wont force her,,,so would have to leave her in chair,,,,,but she couldnt stay in chair for ever,,,god knows what idd do,,,,,anybody hads same thing or know what would happen in a case like this,,,,thks as always

2. jasmineflower

jasmineflower Registered User

Aug 27, 2012
    Hi Caring a
    Didn't want to read and run. I don't have too much experience of this, but it would be worthwhile talking to you mum's GP if you have POA. If they are aware of the aggressive episodes there are things they can do to help, including checking for infections, adjusting medication etc.

You could also speak to the care company as they must be used to coping with behaviour like this and perhaps there are other steps they could take to help.

I'm sure other TPers will be along very soon with their experience and advice
    Jxx

3. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Hi, caring a. I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your mother. I don't have direct experience of your situation but am sure others here have, and will have some suggestions for you.

You have probably thought of this already, but if it's been a sudden change in behaviour or personality or onset of aggression, this can often be a sign of a UTI (or other infection or problem). It couldn't hurt to get this checked out.

It might also be time to have her medication assessed and possibly changed?

Best wishes to you.