Andrea Sutcliffe: My brother’s suicide spurs me on to end the care crisis

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Andrea Sutcliffe’s family tragedy is a constant reminder for her to get it right on care home quality
chief inspector of adult social care at the Care Quality Commission (CQC)

Chances are that if Andrea Sutcliffe hits the headlines, it will be for the wrong reason. The woman in charge of policing Britain’s residential care homes is on a hiding to nothing in terms of public relations. If she gets it right, and reduces the number of cases of abuse against elderly and vulnerable people, the response will, in all probability, be muted. Get it wrong – presiding over a major scandal such as Winterbourne View, say – and the media will doubtless show little mercy

“There is some fantastic care out there in this country and we should be celebrating that, because we want good people to work in the sector and don’t want to put them off,” says Miss Sutcliffe. “But we also need to be making sure that we are bringing up standards. We have to ask if these services are well led. Most importantly, we need to be confident about what is happening when we are not there.”

Read more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/e...icide-spurs-me-on-to-end-the-care-crisis.html