and then she was gone..

pinkotron

Jun 30, 2017
I have posted here a few times last year.

My Mom was diagnosed with some sort of dementia round about this time last year (onset estimated 5 years before). We were never sure quite what kind because she thought nothing was wrong and therefore wouldn't consent to any brain imaging.

Memory tests came back that it could be Alzheimers or FTD. I was firmly on the side of it being FTD but a slightly later onset beginning in her 70's. Whatever it was she had significant problems with self awareness, reasoning about her own health, apathy and personal care. She had forgotten how to do things, wash, dress, change clothes make a cup of tea, making phone calls or at least needed help with initiating these tasks.
She had developed some odd repetitive behaviours, weeing in a jug, picking her hands, often with sharp objects, she had to have a mint in her mouth constantly and recently she had gone from smoking 20 to 60 or 70 a day.
She was only just becoming classically forgetful and she had no awareness of it and she was still pretty lucid to talk to and was still pretty handy at mental arithmetic and doing crosswords and using her iPad. She absolutely refused to go out except if she ran out of ciggarettes and really preferred being on her own.

I'm only 35 and have a pre school age daughter and a job and a life 100 miles away from my Mom. My Dad is already gone and I have no siblings.

About 8 weeks ago my mothers carers couldn't get anyone to answer the door in the morning (We have the ring online doorbell system at my house that alerts me on my phone) so I knew immediately that there was a problem. The keys in the keybox wouldn't work because Mom had left the keys in the other side of the door. We had to get the police to break in.

Mom had passed away in her chair. No one knew anything was wrong. She had been out in the afternoon trying to walk to the shops to get cigarettes but the neighbour ran after her and went and got the cigarettes for her. I saw her on the video camera going out and she just looked as she ever did. Her carer in the evening knew her really well and didn't spot anything, Mom had got up and let that carer out and locked the door behind her then had sat down and had fallen asleep and died before she had eaten the dinner the carer had made for her.
I was due to see her that weekend as she was starting to run low on meals but my daughter had chicken pox so I decided to stay away until the Tuesday.

The post mortem had come back saying she had pneumonia, nobody knew. Even if I had visited that weekend I wouldn't have been able to spot it. A rattly chest on someone who has mild COPD and smokes 60 a day and has little to no self awareness!? You just wouldn't know, she didn't even.

There is so much to be thankful for in this, that she was at home and that she still had some independence and we didn't have to sell her house.
But I still feel so lost, practically she was a big focus for me, I was up and down the motorway, filling her fridge, ordering her shopping and her medications. We had agreed this year in the spring we would start moving her house around so she could have a propper bed in her living room. I was so focussed on keeping her at home while we could. And at the end of the day she was my Mom.

Thank god we got the diagnosis when we did so I spent so much more time with her in the last year, I thought I had done something wrong because she was so distant in the previous 5 years. In the last year I just turned up, I didn't give her chance to keep me away. She seemed disinterested when my daughter was born and I was so sad because I thought I had done something wrong.
We tried twice to get her help since the dementia started but both times she was treated for depression due to her history and they just cranked her drugs up with little or no effect. It was only this time when I stood up to her doctors and suggested I thought it was front brain dementia that they started to investigate her memory beyond the MMSE which she always did OK on and found the extent of her difficulties.

I don't know why I'm writing all of this and I know many of you will have been gone through years and years of caring for loved ones which will have been much more harrowing than this. That is what I was preparing myself for and then, she was just gone without a whimper and now everything feels wrong.

Thanks for reading.

H
x

Lovely day

Apr 25, 2016
Mount Vermont, Glasgow
I have posted here a few times last year.

My Mom was diagnosed with some sort of dementia round about this time last year (onset estimated 5 years before). We were never sure quite what kind because she thought nothing was wrong and therefore wouldn't consent to any brain imaging.

Memory tests came back that it could be Alzheimers or FTD. I was firmly on the side of it being FTD but a slightly later onset beginning in her 70's. Whatever it was she had significant problems with self awareness, reasoning about her own health, apathy and personal care. She had forgotten how to do things, wash, dress, change clothes make a cup of tea, making phone calls or at least needed help with initiating these tasks.
She had developed some odd repetitive behaviours, weeing in a jug, picking her hands, often with sharp objects, she had to have a mint in her mouth constantly and recently she had gone from smoking 20 to 60 or 70 a day.
She was only just becoming classically forgetful and she had no awareness of it and she was still pretty lucid to talk to and was still pretty handy at mental arithmetic and doing crosswords and using her iPad. She absolutely refused to go out except if she ran out of ciggarettes and really preferred being on her own.

I'm only 35 and have a pre school age daughter and a job and a life 100 miles away from my Mom. My Dad is already gone and I have no siblings.

About 8 weeks ago my mothers carers couldn't get anyone to answer the door in the morning (We have the ring online doorbell system at my house that alerts me on my phone) so I knew immediately that there was a problem. The keys in the keybox wouldn't work because Mom had left the keys in the other side of the door. We had to get the police to break in.

Mom had passed away in her chair. No one knew anything was wrong. She had been out in the afternoon trying to walk to the shops to get cigarettes but the neighbour ran after her and went and got the cigarettes for her. I saw her on the video camera going out and she just looked as she ever did. Her carer in the evening knew her really well and didn't spot anything, Mom had got up and let that carer out and locked the door behind her then had sat down and had fallen asleep and died before she had eaten the dinner the carer had made for her.
I was due to see her that weekend as she was starting to run low on meals but my daughter had chicken pox so I decided to stay away until the Tuesday.

The post mortem had come back saying she had pneumonia, nobody knew. Even if I had visited that weekend I wouldn't have been able to spot it. A rattly chest on someone who has mild COPD and smokes 60 a day and has little to no self awareness!? You just wouldn't know, she didn't even.

There is so much to be thankful for in this, that she was at home and that she still had some independence and we didn't have to sell her house.
But I still feel so lost, practically she was a big focus for me, I was up and down the motorway, filling her fridge, ordering her shopping and her medications. We had agreed this year in the spring we would start moving her house around so she could have a propper bed in her living room. I was so focussed on keeping her at home while we could. And at the end of the day she was my Mom.

Thank god we got the diagnosis when we did so I spent so much more time with her in the last year, I thought I had done something wrong because she was so distant in the previous 5 years. In the last year I just turned up, I didn't give her chance to keep me away. She seemed disinterested when my daughter was born and I was so sad because I thought I had done something wrong.
We tried twice to get her help since the dementia started but both times she was treated for depression due to her history and they just cranked her drugs up with little or no effect. It was only this time when I stood up to her doctors and suggested I thought it was front brain dementia that they started to investigate her memory beyond the MMSE which she always did OK on and found the extent of her difficulties.

I don't know why I'm writing all of this and I know many of you will have been gone through years and years of caring for loved ones which will have been much more harrowing than this. That is what I was preparing myself for and then, she was just gone without a whimper and now everything feels wrong.

Thanks for reading.

H
x

Lovely day

Apr 25, 2016
Mount Vermont, Glasgow
You sound an only child. But you have a great reason to go on you’re little girl. The dementia would make you’re mum act strangely about you’re wee girl. If she was well she would have loved her so much as my mum did to my girls. But mine acted strangely in a shoe shop regarding one daughter. Later she didn’t know who they were then she forgot me. But remembered oldest daughter for a few seconds, she said her name. It is better maybe I think that she went this way. As seeing my mother dying over those last years months has destroyed me. You’re little girl missed this to. She would rather you have the benefit of her house than the government. Shame about the chicken pox but this was out of you’re control.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
What a shock! My condolences.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way... About ten years ago an aunt died and my uncle, then in the early to mid stages of Alzheimer's, went to live with his sister as he would have struggled on his own. He was in his mid seventies and seemed fit and well (apart from the Alzheimer's). He'd been there only a few weeks when my aunt found him on the floor in the kitchen doorway. He'd got up as usual and just died. It was a terrible shock at the time but seeing my mum get to the late stages of Alzheimer's I think it was a blessed release...

And everyday I go to see my dad and I hope for and dread his release. It would, as you say, feel wrong, unfinished...

I hope you are OK.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
This forum is all about writing how we feel so it is good to read your post. It must be very hard for you. I find it is hard to talk to other family and friends about my Mum - even my husband - because I don't want them to be dragged down by it all. So thank goodness I can read all these thoughts and experiences of others, and occasionally talk about my Mum and dementia on here.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss...but yes, there is a lot to be thankful in that your mum retained her independence. There are many members who have lost parents and I am sure they will be a support to you in the coming months, if you want to keep posting.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I know exactly what you mean by this, @pinkotron
Thank god we got the diagnosis when we did so I spent so much more time with her in the last year, I thought I had done something wrong because she was so distant in the previous 5 years.
dad's in a care home now, but I have an explanation of his behaviour before diagnosis, and after it we spent a lot of time together from which I have some treasured memories
my condolences on your loss - caring for your mum has been a significant part of your life and it will take time to settle into different routines - you did well by her, take comfort from that - and be gentle with yourself

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My condolences on your loss - and the shock. My MIL ( who did not have dementia) was staying with us on holiday, went upstairs for a lie down - and died. Huge shock for us! But wonderful for her. No distress, she just fell asleep and according to the doctors, her heart just forgot the next beat. None of us could ask for a better way to go - not nice for family and friends, but the very best way for your mother.
You did the very best you could for her, and she was spared the final,exhausting, and horrid death by dementia.

keep in touch

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

pinkotron

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your comments.

I do totally count myself and my Mom lucky in the way this panned out, but I don't know how I'm ever going to fill the hole in my life left by loosing so much of my Mom while she was still alive and then her unexpected death. I'd only just started to get my head around the diagnosis!

xxx