And so it starts again........

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Well listened to the PM yesterday and wondered what has happened to this country. New measures will last for a period, to early to talk about Xmas, regret having to do this etc. Now let’s consider a blast from the past honest announcement.

1) As we all knew deep down Covid19 is starting to return now the winter months are drawing in on us. The summer break was nice but now we must plan for the difficult months ahead. Today we are announcing the first in a series of measures to be gradually introduced in the coming months.
2) Regrettably large family gatherings at Xmas will not happen this year. No one wants to endanger granny at Xmas so we have no choice. Xmas shopping will no doubt be mostly on line this year, Xmas lunches much reduced affairs. New Year pub crawls and passionately kissing god knows who as the bells chime is for the birds. If any of that really counts in the presence of a pandemic?
3) The idea of mass crowd gatherings at sporting events is for the birds. Yes out of doors but regrettably the journey on public transport before and after are just to risky.

I am not trying to make a political point. Any politicians of any political colour have been found wanting in recent months. Can only hope testing will be adequate, we can again avoid using the Nightingale hospitals, that news on the vaccine front goes well.

It all feels a bit like the Phoney War in 1939, followed by the sudden events of the spring of 1940. Just the seasons get reversed this time. My advice to everyone is batten down the hatches, prepare for a long and most likely bleak winter, think small Xmas if that event is important to you, etc. Just glad we have this forum to get straight answers to real problems and mutual support. There seems little else outside of it. Please stay safe and well in the coming months and your extended families. Best wishes to you all in these troubling times.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well listened to the PM yesterday and wondered what has happened to this country. New measures will last for a period, to early to talk about Xmas, regret having to do this etc. Now let’s consider a blast from the past honest announcement.

1) As we all knew deep down Covid19 is starting to return now the winter months are drawing in on us. The summer break was nice but now we must plan for the difficult months ahead. Today we are announcing the first in a series of measures to be gradually introduced in the coming months.
2) Regrettably large family gatherings at Xmas will not happen this year. No one wants to endanger granny at Xmas so we have no choice. Xmas shopping will no doubt be mostly on line this year, Xmas lunches much reduced affairs. New Year pub crawls and passionately kissing god knows who as the bells chime is for the birds. If any of that really counts in the presence of a pandemic?
3) The idea of mass crowd gatherings at sporting events is for the birds. Yes out of doors but regrettably the journey on public transport before and after are just to risky.

I am not trying to make a political point. Any politicians of any political colour have been found wanting in recent months. Can only hope testing will be adequate, we can again avoid using the Nightingale hospitals, that news on the vaccine front goes well.

It all feels a bit like the Phoney War in 1939, followed by the sudden events of the spring of 1940. Just the seasons get reversed this time. My advice to everyone is batten down the hatches, prepare for a long and most likely bleak winter, think small Xmas if that event is important to you, etc. Just glad we have this forum to get straight answers to real problems and mutual support. There seems little else outside of it. Please stay safe and well in the coming months and your extended families. Best wishes to you all in these troubling times.
Also to you.My best wishes. I don’t think dad is ever going to get out of his bungalow. Apart from sitting in the garden when I’m there. I don’t think it will ever end in the foreseeable future. I think we will still be doing this next year. What a cheerful thought!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
As far as I can see, Xmas is well and truly stuffed this year. Everything is now stuffed for the rest of this year and probably most of next year.

My only consolation is that we are more or less all in the same boat now and everyone else is also suffering from isolation and lack of fun in their lives.

Fed up and truly stuffed and Xmas can get stuffed too.

Sorry

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
No need for apologies @Duggies-girl . The whole world is pretty fed up today I think.

To be honest, I've dreaded Christmas for years. I daren't invite mum to my house, as she would expect to see her mum and dad, and all those other people who died decades ago. Care home Christmas seems overly jolly in a fake way (not their fault - they try really hard to make it lovely for the residents) and mum always gets terribly upset on the day because of the constant stream of visitors and noise. I do feel for everyone who was looking forward to getting together with their families though. Who knows, things seem to change so quickly these days, perhaps something will happen to make it possible.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hopefully people might listen this time and follow rules but just because boris johnson says so, it doesnt mean that some people will obey the rules when they didnt before eg bournemouth and brighton beaches lake district even local parks in london and elsewhere. schools gone back and 4 have had to close or part close in dorset and other areas. universities going back. no parties. problem being those paused shielding are going to have their freedom taken away from them because people are confused at the rules and making their own up. half wont pay fines either.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
People are so fed up with it all now, I imagine there will probably be plenty of Christmas get-togethers taking place, whether they are allowed or not.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
People are so fed up with it all now, I imagine there will probably be plenty of Christmas get-togethers taking place, whether they are allowed or not.
it would be all right if they could see the results are good if they do obey like i said my neighbour took no notice and had their big family in even in lockdown

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I hadn’t thought about Christmas until the announcement and as I’m trying to get mum into a care home it struck me that I’ll be on my own as I’ve no other family.
For the first time I looked at the reality after years of looking after her and the doubts about moving her crept in...

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I hadn’t thought about Christmas until the announcement and as I’m trying to get mum into a care home it struck me that I’ll be on my own as I’ve no other family.
For the first time I looked at the reality after years of looking after her and the doubts about moving her crept in...

Yes this will be my first Christmas without dad for as long as I can remember. It's lousy isn't it.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I think a lot of families won't be taking much notice of the new rules if it is still the case at Christmas.