And so it goes on ......

BrianSausage

Registered User
Nov 2, 2018
29
0
Hello again

So we are now on day 12 of the syringe driver with Morphine and midazolam.

Mum is settled 80% of the time and the other 20% she is agitated.

I am having to fight with the nurses at her NH to get top up injections for her, if her agitation becomes too bad.
The hospice came out on Friday, and said the NH have all the drugs they need to keep mum settled. But lo and behold on Sat, mum was agitated and it took me 2 hours to get her a top up. The nurse on duty just kept saying “let’s wait and see”. 2 hours of waiting and seeing led to mum trying to fight the nurse when she came with the injection.
I was furious!

I ended up crying as mum was so upset, and it’s awful to see.

As for her journey, the hospice seem to think she is near the end. They said we are looking at just days left.
Her swallow is going. Some days she can swallow and other days she can’t. Is this normal? Or should the swallow just go?
Her breathing is shallow and no food to speak of for about 7 days. She is still drinking. About 250ml’s a day.
Very little urine output and not opened bowels for over a week.

My poor little mum. I just wish this awful nightmare over now. I can’t sleep for worry and just want to be with her all the time to hold her.
 

la lucia

Registered User
Jul 3, 2011
592
0
Hello again

So we are now on day 12 of the syringe driver with Morphine and midazolam.

Mum is settled 80% of the time and the other 20% she is agitated.

I am having to fight with the nurses at her NH to get top up injections for her, if her agitation becomes too bad.
The hospice came out on Friday, and said the NH have all the drugs they need to keep mum settled. But lo and behold on Sat, mum was agitated and it took me 2 hours to get her a top up. The nurse on duty just kept saying “let’s wait and see”. 2 hours of waiting and seeing led to mum trying to fight the nurse when she came with the injection.
I was furious!

I ended up crying as mum was so upset, and it’s awful to see.

As for her journey, the hospice seem to think she is near the end. They said we are looking at just days left.
Her swallow is going. Some days she can swallow and other days she can’t. Is this normal? Or should the swallow just go?
Her breathing is shallow and no food to speak of for about 7 days. She is still drinking. About 250ml’s a day.
Very little urine output and not opened bowels for over a week.

My poor little mum. I just wish this awful nightmare over now. I can’t sleep for worry and just want to be with her all the time to hold her.

I'm no expert in this but I thought that in the final stages minimising agitation and pain is the priority. I'm so sorry that you are still having to fight for your mother instead of just being able to quietly accompany her. Can you call the hospice team to speak to the NH about this? I think my dad's swallow was off and on at the end and his vocal chords or voice barely worked except when he managed to rasp out instructions to me about looking after my mother a few hours before he died.

However, your mum has you on her side - that's precious - I'm sending you a virtual hug and hoping that your mum will find some peace soon. Look after you too please. That's important too.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
141,413
Messages
2,029,141
Members
93,032
Latest member
spondondon9999