And so it begins

Wilkia29

Nov 2, 2019
I just wanted to say hi and thanks.I’m not sure I have specific questions just yet but I know it won’t be long. My partner is 61 and has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, a diagnosis that has taken nearly 7 years to confirm because of ignorant GPs and his outright stubbornness. I am 19 years younger than him and after 15 years together I knew at some point I’d be taking care of him but I still feel cheated. So finding this forum I don’t feel so alone. Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Wilkia29 and welcome

This forum has (and still is) a great scource of information and support to me. My OH is 63 now and I too feel I have been cheated out of our plans and dreams for retirement.
Do have a mooch around, but remember that not everything happens to every person with dementia.
You can ask about anything, so do post with questions or for support whenever you are ready

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Wilkia29 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Wilkia29

Nov 2, 2019
Super helpful. Thank you. All the things you have mentioned are rolling round my mind but I think I’m still pulling my socks up about the whole situation. Things need doing I know . I’m still working full time at the moment so I really need to prioritise.