And breathe

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
Slightly better day today, mum has had constant stuffy nose for months and found something which she feels is helping today. I'm still not sure if it's physical irritation or her dementia or maybe a mixture of both. She has been seen by GP twice and there is no sign of anything physical such as swelling or blockage by polyps. Her taste has diminished over the Last few years and again it could be the dementia or medication. It's a shame as she doesn't enjoy meals so much, although it can vary from day to day. Also has gone off food she previously considered her favourites. Has anyone else had experience of these things?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The food thing is typical of dementia as the sense of taste is lost - sweet and sour being the last to go. This is the cause of the familiar dementia sweet tooth.

The physical complaints can be a symptom of anxiety and I get that with my wife. After excluding possible physical causes reassurance and treatment for anxiety can help.

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
She can have half a tablet of Lorazepam but I tend only to use when she has an anxiety attack. I think I might ask GP about using more often and an extra one if worse. Thank you for replying

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
She can have half a tablet of Lorazepam but I tend only to use when she has an anxiety attack. I think I might ask GP about using more often and an extra one if worse. Thank you for replying
Over the years since my wife's diagnosis I have had to have her anxiety meds changed and then tweaked to achieve a level of reasonable calm for her. Reassurance is still required but at a more tolerable level.

Nothing about dementia is easy, I even found ourselves in a crisis last summer so I empathise with what you are going through.

I have learned as much as possible about dementia so that I can cope to some extent. This forum is a great source of information from the very experienced and helpful membership through to the publication list.

I wish you and your mum all the very best.:)

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
The irony is that I was a trainer for dementia and managed residential homes. All my knowledge and experience seems to have gone out of the window along with tolerance levels too. Mum has never been easy and so it's hard to tell what's her and what's dementia. Physical needs straightforward, it's everything else. I know it's easier when working as you can walk away from it and also easier not to take things personally. I should know better but I clearly don't!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
@Wordy - Dont worry about it, everyone who has dealt professionally with dementia comes on here and says exactly the same thing. Dealing with a relative with dementia (especially if you are with them 24/7) is so completely different from a professional job its almost like starting from scratch.

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
Thank goodness canary, I've felt like a really bad person at times when I snap at something she's said. On a positive note, I've managed to persuade her to do some exercises today along with myself. Also mum has done some adult colouring, which I got. When I first introduced this, mum couldn't do it but for once I remembered not to make a thing of it and just left it out. She now loves it and does it to distract herself when she's feeling jumpy. She's also read the Saturday paper. I'm trying to keep her stimulated whilst we are in lockdown as her main goal each week was to go for lunch at the Petwood in woodhall spa and there is a real risk of depression (so say all of us) could do with more ideas. She's got mobility problems

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Slightly better day today, mum has had constant stuffy nose for months and found something which she feels is helping today. I'm still not sure if it's physical irritation or her dementia or maybe a mixture of both. She has been seen by GP twice and there is no sign of anything physical such as swelling or blockage by polyps. Her taste has diminished over the Last few years and again it could be the dementia or medication. It's a shame as she doesn't enjoy meals so much, although it can vary from day to day. Also has gone off food she previously considered her favourites. Has anyone else had experience of these things?
If your mum's nose is stuffy, it may be that she has lost some of her sense of smell and that would have an effect on her abiliary to taste food.

Do you think she could manage a nasal spray? Some of them could be quite useful.

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
Thank you for your reply @Lawson58 . Yes, started on decongestants 6 weeks ago with steam inhalation too. Then went to saline spray after she discovered decongestants prescribed by dr could be bought over counter so "stopped working ". Now on one with eucalyptus which at the moment seems to be working as we've bent the truth and said it has been prescribed by her favourite dr.
I realise this maybe her dementia but treating symptoms anyway as even if not physical, it's real to her.
It's not helping that she's on 3rd course of antibiotics for bad cellulitis. Legs scarlet and having to keep an eye on the line not going up further as at risk from sepsis. At the moment, no temperature and eating but petrified she might end up in hospital, when I wouldn't be able to go with her or visit.
I'm trying to cool legs down with flannels which does seem to help. She's elevating when I remind her.
My anxiety levels are high but trying to deal with what is now and not look to worst case scenario but,,,,,,,
Writing on this site helps