And another thing……..

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Just when I am coming to grips with mum’s refusal of meds, now we have another ‘crisis’.

Just had a call from the NH, mum has ‘lost’ the remote to her t.v. again.

This happened a little while ago, well, it wasn’t lost, she threw it at the wall and smashed it to pieces because it wouldn’t work, (probably battery flat), and hid the bits in the bin.

Major crisis, she is kicking off big time. No problem, jump in the car, hurtle off to the shops, got another remote, flipping thing wouldn’t work.

Back to the shops, bought her a spanking new flat screen t.v. even had a DVD facility, (for those days when I am at the end of my tether repeating myself, so put on Gone with the Wind, a fav with mum). The big plus was, the layout of the remote was the same as the old one, she had no problem using it…………phew.

The staff have hunted high and low for the remote, no luck, I could cry. I know in the scheme of things this is a really trivial moan, but isn’t it always the little things that push you over the edge.

Feeling very sorry for myself.

Love

Cate

PS Holiday, what holiday!!!!

Last edited:

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Cate,
I know just how you feel about TV remote controls. My Mum's remote control disappeared into thin air within days of her going into the Nursing Home. Another patient probably made off with it, but it was never found again.
Later we took in another TV and video recorder and the two remote controls were always getting lost. Again, I think another patient was responsible and they usually turned up again. I sellotaped Mum's name to them which helped a bit.
Mum's glasses were always disappearing as well and then suddenly there'd be three or four pairs of glasses in her room, only two of which belonged to her.
After she died, she had the full complement of glasses and remote controls and it was just Mum who was missing.
Kayla

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Kayla said:
After she died, she had the full complement of glasses and remote controls and it was just Mum who was missing. Kayla

Oh Kayla, that says it all. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Cate, commiserations.

Your mum has no idea what you`re going through, but we do.

Love xx

Josh

Jun 24, 2007
Nottingham
Cate,

It really is the little trivial things that seam to pull us down, I my self can pretty much cope with the "big issues" but those little issues just seam to grate on us all dont they.

I also know the remote control issue all too well, my Gran (who who lives with us) is forever loosing/misplacing the remotes.

We dont even bother looking for them any more we just go in to what we call the "stash draw" and pull out another one. Once we find the old one, they go in to the draw in time for when the next one goes missing. I've spent a fortune on an online auction site on remote controls. I think we must have about 6 cable Remotes at least.

Keep your Chin up & keep smiling.

Josh

- x -

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Ah Cate, can so sympathise.

When Lionel was first in the care home his remote for the TV/DVD/VCR was always left on his table by his chair. This was despite the fact that whilst he could then enjoy the TV he could not possibly work said remote.

The number of times his drink was spilled over remote.....result I now have 3 remote controls........and he only listens to the radio, quite separate.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Oh Cate ... talk about a 'parallel' week .... two issues - one medical, the other a 'mere' matter of something being 'misplaced' ... which one drove me scattiest?????? :eek:

Well, number three has taken over for me today .... if she tells me once more about how her drive keeps flooding and "It's all because of that tree ...." (nothing to do with the rain of course!) ..... :eek:

Way I see it, mum - without making a cognitive and determined effort as in previous years - is still doing her damndest (and succeeding!) to 'keep me on my toes and outta mischief!!!!!" :)

Keep smiling, Cate!

Luv Kaz, x

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Cate, it is the steady drip of trivia which drives us nuts and causes the greatest frustration. Major problems are easier to cope with because we can focus our efforts in getting to grips with them.

The only thing that never goes missing is my frustration at things that go missing.

Dick

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
reminds me of my mother last year in emergency respite , that she went into for a few mouths and we got her a TV in room .

This happened a little while ago, well, it wasn’t lost, she threw it at the wall and smashed it to pieces because it wouldn’t work, (probably battery flat), and hid the bits in the bin.

Maybe she just frustrated with herself , that she just can't work it now then. because of her memory. just that use to happen with my mother she use to get angry with it , till I released that she was forgetting how to use it .

If it happen again don't be surprised , get a universal one ( just in case ) from Curry that work on all TV .

Or maybe if like my mother she just give up on it , leave TV on same channel and ask someone to turn it over .

Now my mother does not care what is on , as long as TV is On .

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hiya Cate

Thinking about ya honey..................you know where i am if you need to unload.;)

Love as always
Alex x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated to know there is some TLC and understanding out there.

........................... and just to add to my problems (in other words.... and another thing ......again), my computer packed in on me on Saturday night, grrrrrrrrrr:eek:

Still all fixed now, I'm just £90 the poorer:eek:

Thanks again everyone.

Love

Cate xxx