Anaemia?

Dave53

Oct 25, 2012
Norfolk
Hi Guys,
My position is that Mum who's 87 with a degree of vascular dementia had been pottering along quite fine at home until the beginning of July when she ended up in hospital following a couple of lacunar strokes.
(These lacunar strokes, so far as I understand are relatively small strokes which knock you off your feet, but do not generally have the life changing effects of a regular stroke).
The hospital patched her up, gave her extra medication digoxin and aspirin, and after a week or so she was fit to go home. However Social Workers picking up on her condition said she was too demented to be allowed to go home alone and insisted we put her in a Care Home.
This we did and being new to Care Homes I didn't really worry when she appeared to be fading fast, in the first week her TV remote control went missing, then someone stole her magnifying glass, so she was spending a lot of time alone in her room looking out of the window, no telly to stimulate her and unable to read the paper (I bought her a new magnifier and the care home keep promising to find her remote control).
The first day she was in the Care Home she had spoken glowingly of lunch and I hadn't visited during meal times as I didn't want to interrupt.
As I say mum then seemed to deteriorate quite progressively, in the first few days after the novelty had worn off she begged me to get her out, then she seemed suddenly to accept it, to have become institutionalised. After a fortnight she could hardly string a sentence together.
Now 3 weeks later she is back in hospital having collapsed with anaemia and all becomes clear.
She isn't eating properly or has internal bleeding, so the blood becomes low in haemoglobin and can't carry oxygen to the brain, so mum appears more demented, and her heart works faster and erratically giving rise to more vascular dementia.
I think the moral is be alert to the perils of anaemia, it can cause or exacerbate vascular dementia?
:)
Dave

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Dave.

It`s impossible to know how this rapid deterioration began, or the precise cause and we can only be wise with hindsight.
Thank you for identifying it though. Something else to be alert to.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Dave, oddly enough I was worried about Mum yesterday and made other posts, I called the doctor and found mum was still anaemic. they prescribed iron tablets.

She usually can't tolerate them for more than a few days and she needs them for a few months. So I'll be on the look out for any changes.

Thanks.

Dave53

Oct 25, 2012
Norfolk
Hi Guys,
I could really kick myself, because she had a bout of anaemia a couple of years ago, picked up on a routine MOT at the doctors, and followed up by numerous trips to outpatients where the gave her barium meals and enemas for XRays, endoscopes up her backside and down her throat, they found nothing specific.
Since that time I have been looking after her usually Shepards pie with greens and carrots on a Monday, Sausage, Egg Beans and Chips on a Wednesday, and I do a rather nice Paella with chirozo and beans, so she has been getting plenty of iron and vitamins.
Thing is when she was in her own home I used to sit down and eat with her, meals were a social occasion and I knew she was eating her plateful. But since she has been in the Care Home this hasn't necessarily been so and I have no idea what she has or hasn't eaten.
Also if I am honest, our inhibitions play a part, I have cared for every aspect of mums life, except her toilet habits. Call me old fashioned but I let mum go to the toilet on her own, thinking there are some things a son shouldn't intrude upon. Of course I washed her knickers, but tended to turn a blind eye to the occasional skid mark. Perhaps I should have been paying more attention to the composition of her stools. I think it was in the film 'The Last Emperor' that the Chinese Emperor routinely had his stools examined by a physician?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
If you are going to kick yourself just for that I'd better give myself a damned good hiding.:D

Seriously you sound as if you have done everything you can. Should the care homes keep records of how much your Mum has eaten, not what she's been served but what has been actually eaten? It is their responsibility now though I would make a point of visiting a couple of times now at meal times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annette491