Anaemia?

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Hi everyone

I've been browsing for a few weeks, but thought I would introduce myself. My mother is 75 years old, and has Vascular Dementia (although the doctors never actually say the name, just refer to her 'memory problem'). I've read so much, and she has all the symptoms, has been to memory clinic and been put on asprin.

It's so good to hear other people's experiences which have helped me to confirm that I am not going mad The repeated conversations, the agression, refusing to wash, paranoia, pacing, etc..! It's still very early stages, and sometimes I feel as if I'm imagining it all and it's just normal for her age, but I know that I'm not.

The most recent event has been a fall, which resulted in bloods and an ECG, and discovering that she is anaemic. I wonder if this is usual, as she doesn't eat very well, in particular meat?

At the moment Mum lives alone in sheltered accommodation, and I visit to check up on her. I deal with all her paperwork, appointments, medication, etc as well as organising her shopping. I get help with the housework, and the Warden pops in 3 times a week. She already gets Attendance Allowance (because of other health problems), and she has a walk in shower.

I am the only carer, and I find it a big strain as I don't have anyone else to turn to being single and her only child. I know one or two people wonder why she doesn't live with me, but I don't think I could cope with her full time. I know that things are not that bad at all right now, especially compared with what others have to cope with, but I do worry about the future. The only thing that keeps me going is my Faith.

I do have lots of questions... mainly, how do I get the doctors to confirm her diagnosis to me? I get frustrated sometimes with how vague they are about it all . We're off to see the GP tomorrow about the anaemia, and following a suggestion on the Forum I managed to pass a note to the receptionist (when she had her blood test) for the doctor about her recent behaviour. Lets hope I'll get some answers...?

Thanks again for the support and information here - it literally has been a God send .

Blessings

Patsy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You might want to check that she's taking the asprin appropriately: my mother was on asprin but didn't realise that it was soluble asprin. The result was that she would just take it and it would stick to the inside of her esophogus resulting in bleeding and quite serious anemia. The stupid GP stopped the asprin and never restarted it - result being that she ended up having several strokes.

Oh, and welcome to Talking Point :)

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
You might want to check that she's taking the asprin

Oh, and welcome to Talking Point :)

Thanks for the suggestion, this could well be a factor.

The doctor has referred her for an endoscopy, and said it might me some type of bleeding caused by an ulcer or 'something else':confused:.

He did finally confirm the dementia, but he said getting to the bottom of the anaemia was more urgent at the moment.

thanks again

Patsy

Zadok

Mar 15, 2006
Kent
Asprin

Hello Auntiep,
My mum has VD or at least it was mentioned once by a consultant!
She switched to a coated asprin after queries about aneamia and possible bleeding.
Resist pressure from well meaning people about having mum to live with you unless it is what you decide to do! They just don't understand unless they have lived with dementia! Investigate instead what support you can access. I had carers three times a day, with me as the fourth and back up! In the end several accidents with leaving gas on, wandering at night and switching a hot plate and badly burning her hand(only minutes after I'd left!) we moved mum to a care home. There, although she still believes she lives with her mum and dad and is just at a day centre, she is relaxed and almost settled.
I also had 'assistive technology' with a life line button, heat, flood, fire,carbon monoxide alarm and front door alarm all linked to my phone.Try asking your doctor for a referral to the 'mental health team' as they were able to offer mum day centre and the technology. Also ask Social Services for an assessment. In short see what help you can get!
Best wishes, Zadok
Zadok

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI AuntieP

My Mum also had anaemia. She later had a bleeding ulcer too which required emergency treatment.(Whether anti-inflammatory or aspirin induced we shall never know, she had been on them for years at this time!)

A friend who was a care home manager told me that it was often a mix of poor diet and that the TIA's cause bleeds which do not help either.

Glad that you are getting help getting to the bottom of it. Though investigations may prove distressing for your Mum you need to maintain her health as much as possible.

Love

Mameeskye

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Don't no if this will help but Vit B12 can cause Dementia symptoms if the body cant store it. It also can cause aneamia and neuophathy ( they are checking me for it at the moment as i have the neuophathy symptoms). Search it up i think there is a nhs site on it.

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Thanks

Thank you all for your input, it realy helps to know others have had similar problems. I feel much less alone and a bit less confused. I may ask the pharmacist about coated aspirin.

Also the advice about Mum coming to live with me - I'll try to leave that until its absolutely necessary.

Blessings

Patsy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream