An update about my dad

jmg156

Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone

I haven't been on here for a long time and I just wanted to share an update

Sadly my dad passed away from COVID-19 just over three months ago at 84 years old. He was moved to a care home (after being in shared lives for about a month prior) as part of his respite placement and a week later he was gone. He'd started getting a lot of infections so needed a bit more care than before and I was starting to struggle to give him the care he needed and deserved. My dad was taken to hospital on the Sunday evening and given hours to live - but he defied these and battled valiantly until the early hours of Thursday morning before slipping away six hours after we said our final goodbye

I was so lucky to get permission to go and see him each day before he passed despite the visiting restrictions. Despite being very ill his memory was still very good and he recognised me straight away despite not seeing me for over a month - making me question if he even had dementia despite his 2011 diagnosis. He was also fully aware of where he was and what was happening. I will be forever thankful to the NHS for allowing me to have those precious final days with my dad who is sorely and very deeply missed by his family and everyone who knew him. Even though he was only at the home for a few days I later received a lovely sympathy card from the care home manager

Sadly my dad didn't get to meet or even see a photo of my youngest daughter (named in his memory) who was born eighteen hours after he passed away. To be completely honest I think without her and her five sisters I wouldn't be here anymore - but I'm doing my best to carry on because they need me and it's what my dad would want me to do

Dad - 1936-2020
Did You Ever Know That You're My Hero?
You may be gone physically - but your memory will live forever

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m so sorry to read about your dad. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. My thoughts are with you all.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Sad news and happy news @jmg156
Sorry to hear about your dad but it’s good you were able to spend time with him and he knew you were there for him.
Congratulations on the birth of your sixth daughter, you certainly have your hands full.
Best wishes for the future xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Condolences for your dad and congratulations on your daughter.
It seems strange to say both in the same sentence
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))