An outpatients' appointment

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
For a couple of weeks, after making the decision that my husband would be coming home rather than going into a nursing home, I had stopped waking up in the early hours but now it has started again because I am worried. When I first explained to the psychiatrist my concerns over my husband's symptoms the hospital arranged for 2 assessments. One was the SPECT scan which diagnosed the AD and the other was an outpatients appointment for a neurological assessment. (the hospital had thought the neurological assessment would happen before the SPECT scan). The neurological assessment is due to happen next Tuesday. My husband will be transported from his current hospital to another one which is across the other side of the city. Now that a diagnosis of AD has been made I asked if it was necessary for the neurological assessment to take place. His current hospital still wishes to go ahead with it despite doubting anything else organic will show up. But they want to make absolutely sure nothing has been missed and that my husband is getting all the right treatment. I am just about OK with that. But my great fear is that the neurologist might suggest my husband goes for a period of assessment in the neurologist's hospital. With all the arrangements going ahead for my husband to come home and, with him having been in hospital continuously since July, I wouldn't want this to happen. Having seen the drop in his condition when he moved to his current hospital it would be dreadful for the progress he has made since to be jeopardised. And he has made some progress. He put on 1.3kg last week so is now up to the staggering weight of 7stone 5 lbs! And, from this weekend, I am to start taking him off the ward for little walks around the grounds and even out in the car, working up to afternoons and then nights at home before he is discharged. Would it be really selfish of me to say to the neuorlogist, if a stay is suggested, that enough is enough and to give my husband some time at home now?

love from Sammyb

Trich

Aug 16, 2007
France
Hi Sammy,
Glad to hear that your husband is improving. To allay your fears could you speak to the neurologist before the appointment and tell him how you feel. Have you been told how the assessment will be conducted? Try and get some more information and it might become less worrying for you. I don't think you are at all selfish to want the best for your husband and if you feel that his progress would be jeapordised then speak up for him, loudly!
TrichX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sammy

Perhaps you could ask the neurologist just how important this procedure is, given your husband has been diagnosed with AD, and base your decision on his answer.

I don`t think you`re selfish at all. There comes a time when enough is enough. But if the neurologist would tell you what they are looking for, it might affect your decision.

Take care

Love xx

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Sammy

I think you are acting in the best interest of your husband. I would suggest that when you talk to the neurologist you ask, as has already been suggested, if he is looking for something specific, and if he is, is treatment going to make a difference.

When mum had her heart attack, the Consultant wanted to carry out all sorts of invasive procedures to 'get to the bottom of it', when I asked what sort of treatment could follow, he told me due to her age etc etc probably nothing. Armed with that knowledge I scooped her up and took her back to the NH who knew how to care for her with loads of TLC.

Once you have all the right information I would make the decision of whats right for your hubby, if in the long term its not going to alter his quality of life, and could confuse him more, whats the point.

Wishing you well.

Love
Cate